New Zealand Police Hunt Gunman After Mosque Attack; Several Casualties

Frederick Owens
March 15, 2019

A gunman opened fire in a mosque in New Zealand on Friday and there were several casualties, media reported, after police deployed armed officers in response to shots fired in the centre of Christchurch city. "The gun was (at the) front door, I run behind the mosque and I was sitting behind... and I called the police".

In the footage, which Breitbart News will not post, the gunman approaches the door of the mosque and shoots the people standing there.

Multiple casualties are feared in a "critical incident" early Friday as gunshots were heard near a mosque in New Zealand's east-coast city, global media reported, with the Bangladeshi cricket team narrowly escaping danger.

New Zealand police are responding to the incidents and local TV are reporting multiple casualties.

All Christchurch schools and council buildings have been placed into lockdown.

"This is an evolving incident and we are working to confirm the facts, however we can confirm there have been a number of fatalities", Commissioner Bush said. It is the second most-populous city in New Zealand behind Auckland and Wellington. It was not immediately clear how many people were injured or killed.

"I was in the side room, so I didn't see who was shooting but I saw that some people were running out to my room where I was in, I saw some people had blood on their body and some people were limping".

Te Ao Māori News has been advised by Ngai Tahu that their Christchurch headquarters are also in lockdown.

Witnesses say as many as 300 people were inside the Christchurch mosque when a man wearing a military-style jacket opened fire.

More news: Major League Baseball to enact All Star Game changes | 92.3 The Fan

The Bangladesh Cricket team, who were visiting the city They weren't inside the mosque.

"Some had been shot and then about five minutes after that the police turned up".

The Prime Minister confirmed that at least one person is in custody, and confirmed that two Mosques were attacked in the mass shooting incident.

Another witness told stuff.co.nz he was praying in the Deans Ave mosque when he heard shooting and saw his wife lying dead on the footpath outside when he fled.

And a third active shooting is being reported outside Christchurch Hospital. He stood in the doorway, blocking people inside from escaping, Herald reports.

Peneha says he went into the mosque to try to help: "I saw dead people everywhere".

The attacker "is not us" and had no place in New Zealand society. "They have no place in New Zealand".

Bush said they were "dealing with a very serious and tragic series of events in the Christchurch Canterbury area" and warned people to stay off the streets.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER