California governor pulls National Guard from US-Mexico border

Frederick Owens
February 12, 2019

California Governor Gavin Newsom is poised to withdraw all 360 state troops from the US-Mexico border, in an apparent rebuttal of President Donald Trump's stance that there is a national security crisis there, media said on Monday. Newsom's order cites the move as more reason to reprioritize the state's National Guard deployment away from operations traditionally performed by the Department of Homeland Security. The Times added, "The governor's office is separately requesting funding from the federal government to add at least 150 troops with the California National Guard's Counterdrug Task Force, according to Nathan Click, a spokesman for the governor". "I think it is political theatre", Gavin said Monday in Sacramento as he formally announced his decision, while blasting Trump's deployment of National Guard troops along the U.S. -Mexico border.

"The only emergency at the border is the one created by the federal government's refusal to fulfill its responsibility to assist vulnerable families seeking asylum, and California is working with officials and organizations in San Diego to address that situation", said Sen.

They'll be redeployed to fight fires and gather information on drug cartels.

Newsom's move is an escalation of a long-running battle over immigration between California and the federal government, with the state's Democratic majorities pledging to serve as a buffer to Trump's hard-line rhetoric and policies.

California National Guard troops have been deployed at the border since last spring, when Brown gave them what he called a "crystal clear" scope.

More news: South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg Endorses Green New Deal

The president has threatened to invoke emergency powers to fund construction of a wall at the U.S. -Mexico border, a key promise of his 2016 campaign.

The move was a rebuke to President Donald Trump, who won election in 2016 partly on a populist pledge to build a wall on the southern USA border which he said in his campaign Mexico would pay for. Newsom publicly crossed swords with his predecessor Jerry Brown over the deployment during the gubernatorial campaign past year, albeit in more respectful terms. Every president since Ronald Reagan has called on the National Guard for limited, temporary missions along the frontier.

The Pentagon announced plans last week to send 3,750 troops to the border to install concertina wire and help Customs and Border Protection agents. The governor's office said the troops will be pulled back no later than March 31. The troops can not act to enforce the law or to make arrests.

"This whole border issue is a manufactured crisis".

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER