'We are condemning it': Alleged racism probed at #SchweizerReneke school

Frederick Owens
January 10, 2019

Sello Lehare, the education minister for the North West province, said the school's explanation was that "the learners were separated according to those who could understand Afrikaans and English".

The principal at the school said she was that she was not aware of the situation.

The mom added she was not sure how to move forward at the moment. Language policy has historically been used to exclude black learners.

The picture showed 18 white pupils all occupying large desks placed together in the middle of the classroom, while four black children occupied one desk in a corner at the far end of the classroom.

This was not the first time children have been subjected to racism in the country's schools.

She said no one said a thing about the separation of the grade R class, so, she spoke to another parent outside of the WhatsApp group.

More news: Trump's address sparks debate inside, outside TV networks

After the original photograph began circulating widely on social media, it appears the seating arrangement may have been changed.

On the other side of the school, parents of white children broke a fence and removed their children, with some of the adults armed with firearms.

Image copyright. Image caption After a backlash from parents the school reportedly shared this picture of the children sitting in integrated groups What has the response been?

We've been told that this never happens at the school under normal circumstances.

The GDE, led by Lesufi, concluded that what they had witnessed on the video, showing white children being separated from their black classmates as they hopped off the bus, was a common occurrence in classrooms.

On Thursday, the department announced that the teacher had been suspended, pending the outcomes of the investigations.

"The North West provincial government condemns any form of racism in the strongest possible terms and deeply regrets this unfortunate incident 25 years into the democratic dispensation", Vuyisile Ngesi, spokesperson in the office of the premier, said in a statement on Thursday.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER