Saudi crown prince told US Khashoggi was a risky Islamist

Frederick Owens
November 3, 2018

The claim echoed details a Turkish official had earlier given to the Washington Post - for which Khashoggi was a contributor - that authorities were investigating a theory the body was destroyed in acid.

The kingdom has faced intensifying global pressure to be transparent about the death of Khashoggi, a columnist for The Washington Post who was a critic of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

The New York Times, Reuters and the Financial Times reported that the prince's return had sparked speculation about his role in the kingdom's crisis management efforts following the global outcry over the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

This image taken from CCTV video obtained by the Turkish newspaper Hurriyet and made available Oct. 9, 2018, purports to show Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, Oct. 2, 2018.

Finally, on October 25, Saudi Arabia said the murder was "premeditated" based on information supplied by Turkey.

Aktay's statement comes after the first official acknowledgement from the Istanbul chief prosecutor, Irfan Fidan, on Wednesday that Khashoggi's body was "dismembered and destroyed" after his death at the hands of a team of Saudi officials who flew in from Riyadh to kill him.

"We knew that Khashoggi's body was dismembered", United Kingdom daily The Independent quoted Aktay as saying.

More news: US Sanctions On Oil Exports Not Impacting Us: Iran

The murder of the royal insider-turned-dissident has provoked widespread outrage against Riyadh and fuelled an global debate about arms deliveries to Saudi Arabia, a key Washington ally against Iran.

The Turkish official quoted by the Washington Post said that "biological evidence" found in the consulate's garden indicated the body was likely disposed of near where Khashoggi was killed.

After Saudi Arabia admitted that Khashoggi was killed in its Istanbul consulate, five high-ranking officials were dismissed, including bin Salman's media chief and the deputy head of the Saudi intelligence service.

Riyadh has maintained that neither bin Salman nor King Salman knew of the operation to target Khashoggi.

"It is now up to the global community to bring the perpetrators to justice. And to deliver Jamal's body, which is still missing, to his loved ones.", she wrote.

Turkish investigators believe the journalist, who was living in exile, was strangled when he visited to collect documents for his forthcoming marriage to a Turkish citizen.

"The Trump administration has taken a position that is devoid of moral foundation", she wrote, adding that "there will be no cover-up". I am the one story Jamal did not complete.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER