Turkey to reveal details of probe into Khashoggi’s killing

Gladys Abbott
October 22, 2018

Amnesty International said on Saturday that Saudi Arabia's explanation of journalist Jamal Khashoggi's death in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul appeared to be a whitewash of "an appalling assassination".

Erdogan spoke after Saudi Arabia, in a statement early Saturday, finally acknowledged that 59-year-old Khashoggi had died in the consulate, though its explanation that he was killed involuntarily in a "fistfight" was met with global skepticism and allegations of a cover-up created to absolve Prince Mohammed of direct responsibility.

Both Republicans and Democrats have turned their attention to the role of the prince, with whom Trump and his son-in-law and White House adviser Jared Kushner have cultivated a close relationship.

Once Khashoggi was reported missing, the Saudi government initially said Khashoggi had come out of the consulate the same day, and denied any involvement in his disappearance.

The Saudi regime insisted on Sunday that the regime was still working on finding the body, saying Khashoggi had been killed in a "rogue operation".

Gen. Ahmed al-Assiri and Saud al-Qahtani, a top adviser to Crown Prince Salman - as part of an investigation into the Khashoggi case.

He told Fox News in an interview that Khashoggi was approached by "Saudi security team" when he entered the consulate and their account of what happened after that differed from that of Turkish officials, which prompted the Saudis to investigate.

More news: Purdue throttles No. 2 Ohio State to earn shocking upset

"I think this ought to be a relationship-altering event for the USA and Saudi Arabia", Schiff added.

"They tried to prevent him from shouting but he died", the official said. He apologized to Khashoggi's family, and said, "Our condolences go out to them. There obviously was a tremendous mistake made, and what compounded the mistake was the attempt to try to cover up", Jubeir said.

Eighteen men were in custody over the killing, the kingdom said on Saturday, as it also announced the sacking of two top aides of MBS as well as three other intelligence officials. Earlier this week, Trump said that there would be "severe consequences" if it is found that the Saudis murdered Khashoggi, and on Friday the president said that Saudi's announcement that it had suspects in custody was "a good first step".

He also replied to a US lawmaker's claim which said he was "certain" that the crown prince was "involved and he directed" the killing, saying that it was not based on facts but emotions. It added: "As the foreign secretary has said, this was a bad act and those responsible must be held to account".

He stated that the journalist was approached by the "Saudi security team" when he entered the consulate, and that their account of what happened differed from that of Turkish officials.

Paul said the USA must take a strong stand.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER