Texas Resort Closes After Man Dies from Brain-eating Bacteria

Faith Castro
Октября 3, 2018

Fabrizio Stabile, 29, from New Jersey, died on September 21 after becoming ill with Naegleria fowleri, a deadly amoeba that attacks the brain.

The BSR Surf Resort in Waco, Texas has temporarily shut its doors after a surfer from New Jersey died as a result of complications from Naegleria fowleri, which is often referred to as a "brain-eating amoeba".

Stabile, an avid outdoorsman, came down with a sudden severe headache while mowing his lawn September 16, according to a GoFundMe page. Its symptoms mimic those of bacterial meningitis and include fever, headache, and nausea.

The disease, according to the CDC, is nearly always fatal, with only four people out of 143 cases have survived the infection.

CDC spokesperson Candice Burns Hoffmann said that preliminary test results should be ready next week and will provide recommendations to BSR Surf Resort for reducing potential exposures in the future, as reported by the Waco Tribune-Herald.

The CDC says that it isn't possible to contract Naegleria fowleri by drinking contaminated water.

Читайте также: NL Central champion Brewers to begin postseason play on October 4

"By the time Fabrizio was diagnosed, it was too late to administer the drug that had previously been provided to three of the only five known survivors in North America", Stephanie wrote.

BSR Cable Park owner Stuart E. Parsons Jr. told The Associated Press that the park is closed and is cooperating with the investigation into Stabile's death.

Those interested in donating to The Fabrizio Stabile Foundation can do so here.

The "heat-loving" amoeba is most commonly found in soil and warm fresh water, including lakes rivers and hot springs. PAM is hard to detect because the disease progresses rapidly, so diagnosis is usually made after death, the CDC said.

According to the CDC, Naegleria fowleri causes the onset of primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), a brain infection that leads to the destruction of brain tissue and be fatal. He said the facility was cooperating with health officials. Swallowing water contaminated by the amoeba can not cause the infection.

При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2018 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.

Код для вставки в блог

Other reports by

Discuss This Article