Saudi king, crown prince send condolences to Khashoggi´s son

Frederick Owens
October 23, 2018

Saudi Arabia signed deals worth $50 billion on Tuesday, showing it can still attract investment at a conference boycotted by Western politicians and global business chiefs after the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

In a rare joint statement, Britain, France and Germany said there was an "urgent need for clarification" on what happened to Khashoggi and Riyadh's account had to "be backed by facts to be considered credible".

The Saudi journalist can be seen holding hands with Turkish fiancee Hatice Cengiz, as they visit the local marriage office and enter their apartment block in the hours leading up to his fatal visit to the consulate.

"My demand is that 18 people be tried in Istanbul", Erdogan said in a speech to ruling party lawmakers in Ankara, referring to 18 people including security officials who have already been detained by Riyadh.

In that interview, al-Jubeir described the death of Khashoggi as "a grave mistake" and said that those responsible will be held to account.

Erdogan had previously promised to detail Turkey's investigation into Khashoggi's killing "in all its nakedness". He said multiple teams flew to Istanbul to meet Khashoggi at the diplomatic outpost and removed the hard drive from the site's surveillance system. King Salman, 82, has handed the day-to-day running of Saudi Arabia to him.

Saudi King Salman and the crown prince have both expressed their deepest condolences to Khashoggi's family and relatives, the state-run Saudi Press Agency said.

More news: 'Halloween' Breaks Box Office Records With Massive October Opening

Angela Merkel's Christian Democratic Union foreign policy minister Elmar Brok called on tougher checks of not only the embassy but also members of the Saudi Arabia consulate in the wake of the horrific death of Mr Khashoggi.

In the past weeks, Turkish media and officials speaking to worldwide media have claimed that audio recordings prove Khashoggi was tortured before being decapitated although no concrete evidence of their existence have emerged. Erdogan asked. "We are seeking answers to this".

Murdered writer Jamal Khashoggi was working on a project to expose Saudi Arabia's use of social media trolls and had himself fallen victim to online harassment, a friend told Euronews.

The reason for concern was that Khashoggi had been a vocal critic of the Saudi Government and Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman.

They later confessed that he had died inside the consulate and claimed it was as a result of a fist fight.

Following the global outrage prompted by the journalist's disappearance, US President Donald Trump's comments have varied from playing down Riyadh's role to warning of possible economic sanctions.

United Arab Emirates Prime Minister Sheikh Mohammad bin Rashed, right, and Ibrahim al-Assaf, Saudi State Minister, attend the opening of the Future Investment Initiative conference, in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, on October 23, 2018.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER