Official dismisses report about journalist killed in consulate

Frederick Owens
October 9, 2018

On Monday Turkey asked for permission to search Saudi Arabia's consulate for Khashoggi.

The announcement came as the Post published a surveillance image of Khashoggi walking into the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul, just before he disappeared. "Deeply troubled to hear reports about Saudi Arabian journalist Jamal Khashoggi".

Moulay Hicham urged the Saudi government to clarify the circumstances of the incident and to punish the alleged killers.

Khashoggi, a journalist and columnist for The Washington Post, has been missing since he entered the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2.

Khashoggi, a critic of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and Saudi Arabia's intervention in Yemen, has been living in exile in the United States to avoid arrest.

Saudi authorities continue to insist they played no role in Khashoggi's disappearance.

Trump's comments coincided with a vehement denial from Saudi Arabia's ambassador to the US, Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz, who said claims that Khashoggi had been killed or detained by Saudi authorities were "absolutely false, and baseless", according to a statement obtained by CNN.

On Tuesday, a picture of a man said to be Khashoggi, entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul was shared on social media, allegedly showing him entering shortly before his disappearance.

Almost a week since Khashoggi disappeared, Recep Tayyip Erdogan stepped up his calls for Riyadh to explain what happened to the high-profile critic of the Saudi leadership.

The 15 Saudis were in the consulate when Khashoggi arrived, Turkish sources said, and left the same day.

More news: Report warns of global repercussions on climate warming

"The consulate officials can not save themselves by simply saying "he has left".

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is believed to be personally following the case as he described Mr Khashoggi as a "journalist I knew for a long time" and a "friend". "I do not like it", Trump told reporters on the White House lawn as he was returning from a trip by helicopter to Orlando, Florida.

Turkey has summoned the Saudi ambassador to request the kingdom's "full cooperation" in an investigation into the disappearance of Khashoggi, a Washington Post contributor who wrote articles critical of the Kingdom's ruling elite.

Security cameras are pictured at the entrance of the Saudi Arabia's consulate in Istanbul, Turkey October 8, 2018.

Turkey has yet to make any evidence public.

On Saturday, the Istanbul-based Saudi consulate was opened up to journalists. Khashoggi's fiancee could not immediately be contacted but she said in a Tweet that there had been no official confirmation of the Turkish sources' statements.

The former government adviser, who turns 60 on October 13, has lived in the United States since a year ago to avoid possible arrest. "A team of 15 Saudis arrived on two planes to carry out the killing, officials have said", 'The Washington Post' reported.

Khashoggi's fiancee, Hatice Cengiz, said he first went to the consulate at September 28 to obtain a document related to their upcoming wedding and he returned Tuesday with concern he wouldn't be allowed to leave.

Khashoggi had sought assurances about his safety from friends in the United States before visiting the consulate and had asked Cengiz to contact Turkish authorities if he failed to emerge.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER