Manhunt underway for man accused of killing Atlanta-area police officer

Frederick Owens
October 22, 2018

- One of the two teens suspected of gunning down Gwinnett County Police Officer Antwan Toney has been captured, while the other one remained at large Sunday morning. Maynard remained at large early Sunday and should be considered armed and unsafe, police said.

A suspect identified as Isaiah Pretlow, 19, was arrested by the U.S. Marshals Service and was charged with aggravated assault in the death of Officer Antwan Toney, 30, police said at a news conference. There were as many as four people inside the vehicle, Smith said.

Toney, who was originally from Southern California, had been with the department for nearly three years.

Toney and other officers responded to a call about a suspicious vehicle near a school, police said.

Officers say they believe Maynard could still be close by to the incident, so that's where they're focusing. Maynard is facing charges of aggravated assault and felony murder while Pretlow has been charged with aggravated assault. When the officers approached, someone in the vehicle opened fire and Toney was hit.

"Ever since he could first play with little toys and, you know, police cars, he always said he wanted to be a policeman - 'I wanna be a cop".

More news: Meghan Markle scores fashion hat-trick during flawlessly styled Australia tour

Officer Toney's family and friends erected a memorial for Officer Toney on Saturday and gathered to remember his life on Saturday night.

He was rushed to Gwinnett County Medical Center in Lawrenceville where he died.

The slain officer was the first killed in the line of duty since 1993, the Atlanta-Journal Constitution reported.

According to the Gwinnett Daily Post, Maynard is 18 years old.

Police presence was heavy Saturday evening in neighborhoods a few miles east of Stone Mountain as officers and SWAT and K-9 teams searched for those who fled the auto.

Fellow Georgia law enforcement agencies expressed their sympathy over the fallen officer, who had been on the force since 2015 and was just days away from marking his three year anniversary, police said.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article