A timeline of Saudi statements on the killing of Khashoggi

Frederick Owens
October 21, 2018

Turkey says it will share its evidence about the killing of the Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi with the rest of the worldm, vowing it would "never allow a cover up". He insists Khashoggi is no longer inside the consulate and says Turkish authorities are welcome to search the diplomatic mission.

The investigation is still underway and 18 Saudi nationals have been arrested so far, the authorities said.

The decision last month to authorize the sale, part of an effort to normalize relations with the kingdom, stirred controversy because it ran against an earlier pledge not to sell arms to countries involved in the Yemen war.

But growing global pressure and comments by USA officials up to President Donald Trump forced the kingdom to acknowledge Khashoggi's death. "Saudi Arabia has been a great ally", he said.

"The information available about events in the Istanbul consulate is inadequate", said a joint statement of German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Foreign Minister Heiko Maas.

Twitter was never able to prove he had passed on information, the Times reported, though it fired Alzabarah in December 2015 and sent alerts to a few dozen users that read, "As a precaution, we are alerting you that your Twitter account is one of a small group of accounts that may have been targeted by state-sponsored actors".

The intelligence officials told the Twitter executives that Mr. Alzabarah had grown closer to Saudi intelligence operatives, who eventually persuaded him to peer into several user accounts, according to three of the people briefed on the matter.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), who has called for strong sanctions against Saudi Arabia for its party in Khashoggi's death, expressed doubt about the official Saudi explanation.

He said doing nothing would set a risky precedent and worldwide norms and conventions would "go out the window", if Saudi Arabia wasn't held to account.

More news: Burger King's 2018 Halloween Burger Will Give You Nightmares-Literally

Saudi Attorney General Sheikh Saud al-Mojeb said Khashoggi died after "discussions" at the consulate devolved into an altercation, without disclosing any details on the whereabouts of his body.

He said that he wants to talk to the Saudi crown prince before the next steps are taken.

The Amnesty International human rights organization called for a "neutral and independent" UN-led investigation into the killing of Khashoggi, while the Reporters Without Borders (Reporters Sans Frontiers, or RSF) non-governmental organization said it had expected "a determined, constant and powerful pressure to be kept on Saudi Arabia in order to get the whole truth on the case".

The Turkish prosecutor-general is writing up a report on Khashoggi's killing, but will not publish until a body is found, MEE understands.

Some media outlets claimed there were audio tapes in which Khashoggi's alleged killers tortured him by cutting his fingers off before his decapitation.

United Nations chief Antonio Guterres in a statement stressed "the need for a prompt, thorough and transparent investigation" and "full accountability for those responsible".

European Union foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini.

The article added: "The consular premises shall not be used in any manner incompatible with the exercise of consular functions". According to an NYT report, those arrested included 15 men who were sent to confront Khashoggi, plus one driver and two consular staff members.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER