Galaxy Note 9 battery overheats, smokes out, now subject of lawsuit

Isaac Cain
September 18, 2018

She then tried to pick up her Samsung Galaxy Note 9, supposedly burning her fingers in the process as smoke continued to fill the inside of the elevator, making it hard for her to see.

A Samsung Galaxy Note 9 spontaneously caught fire inside a NY woman's purse earlier this month, according to a lawsuit.

Chung in her lawsuit claims that her Galaxy Note 9 unit became "extremely hot" while using it and she quickly kept it in her purse. Chung stopped using the phone and placed it in her purse but soon heard "a whistling and screeching sound, and she noticed thick smoke" pouring from her purse, the newspaper says the lawsuit alleges.

According to her lawsuit, filed at the Queens Supreme Court, Chung burned her fingers as she got the phone out of her bag in an elevator, then kicked the phone out of the elevator when she got to the lobby.

The plaintiff claims that Samsung should have known that the Note 9 was "defective" and seeks damages and a sales injunction on the phone.

More news: Buffalo Bills' Vontae Davis quits National Football League at half

According to SamMobile, confirmation has come from the CEO of Samsung's mobile division DJ Koh, who told Chinese media this week that the changes to the new device would be "very significant", offer "amazing" colours and have an update that would please consumers. Samsung claims that the batteries of all smartphones post Note 9 undergo eight-point check.

Alone in the elevator, Chung became "extremely panicked" and began pressing buttons before the auto stopped at the lobby.

The Note 7 was Samsung's flagship device in 2016, but dozens of the phones blew up or caught fire.

So far, this is only one incident of a Galaxy Note 9 catching fire and it does not necessarily suggest a widespread issue. The Korean smartphone company, however, said that it had not received any reports of such incidents and was probing the matter. It should be remembered that the Galaxy Note 7 only started atching fire a month or so after it launched in the market and despite glowing initial reviews.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER