Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Conor McGregor Official For UFC 229

Gladys Abbott
August 6, 2018

There won't be a face off between lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov and Conor McGregor until both fighters arrive in Las Vegas for fight week at UFC 229. The announcement was made during the UFC's 25th anniversary press conference where the fighting promotion laid out the events for the rest of 2018.

UFC president Dana White last week said former UFC featherweight and lightweight champion McGregor taking on Nurmagomedov is "the fight everybody wants to see".

And the Irishman hasn't competed at all since losing his lucrative boxing match against Floyd Mayweather in August 2017.

Well Diaz, the biggest rival of McGregor's career, was none too pleased regarding the lightweight title bout announcement.

How will McGregor fare against the Nurmagomedov?

He was stripped of his belt for being inactive and Nurmagomedov subsequently won the 155lb title by beating Al Iaquinta as the Russian extended his winning record to 26 straight fights. Last month he was sentenced to five days of community service in the United States after pleading guilty to disorderly conduct.

More news: Trump Changes Story on Purpose of Meeting with Russian Lawyer

He is a formidable challenger for McGregor in a return from a 23-month break from MMA competition.

Conor McGregor will return to the UFC Octagon for the first time in nearly two years in October.

White didn't disclose terms of the deal that was reached. He then told reporters outside, "They'd better start acting right and start promoting me", and added that he was brought to that day's press conference late, per video from Postmedia's Danny Austin.

Those include a September 8 pay-per-view card in Dallas headlined by the Tyron Woodley-Darren Till welterweight title fight and a December 29 card in Las Vegas likely to feature a fight between women's champions Cris Cyborg and Amanda Nunes, although negotiations continue.

"It's time to roll", Diaz said following his own two-year absence.

After Diaz vacated the presser, he took to Twitter to proclaim he's seemingly changed his mind about making his long-awaited return.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER