Idris Elba Says He Won't Play James Bond

Danny Woods
August 23, 2018

After nearly a decade of rumors that Idris Elba was in line to play 007, the speculation recently ramped up once again and was even fueled by the 45-year-old actor on social media.

The confession is bound to come as a major blow to those loyal Idris fans hoping to see him take over from Daniel Craig.

A reporter with Good Morning Britain stopped Idris and was holding a martini. Just earlier in the interview, he dodged the question by telling the reporter, who asked if he liked his martinis shaken or stirred, that he preferred them "stir-fried, thank you".

The British actor was in town to promote Yardie, his gritty directorial debut about how a man's quest for retribution leads to a nasty run-in with a unsafe London gangster. The actor, who has for years been pegged to play Agent 007, shut down rumours of stepping into the franchise.

More news: People stopped believing in us but we didn’t, says Virat Kohli

The film was supposed to be helmed by Danny Boyle but the Slumdog Millionaire director has walked out of the project due to creative differences with the producers.

Last week, Elba posted a selfie on Twitter, captioning it: "My name's Elba, Idris Elba", echoing Bond's catchphrase.

"I don't even want to talk about it, honestly", the actor said.

Elba himself stoked the fire on August 12, tweeting a twist on Bond's famous "Bond".

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER