At least four people killed in Canada shooting

Frederick Owens
August 10, 2018

Canadian police say there are "multiple fatalities" in an shooting in the city of Fredericton in New Brunswick.

In another tweet, they said that the incident was "ongoing".

The incident in the capital of the Canadian province New Brunswick is still ongoing. Nearby facilities were closed and authorities told residents to stay locked in their homes.

In a tweet, police acknowledged that two of those killed were from their department and that no names are being released at this time.

David MacCoubrey, who lives in Fredericton, said he heard about 20 shots and was hiding on his kitchen floor.

More news: Emery set for baptism of fire as Arsenal host City

The shootings took place on Brookside Drive, a leafy thoroughfare on the city's north side. "It was sort of like a pop, pop, pop, pop", he said.

MacCoubrey said three gunshots woke him up, and as many as 17 more were fired between that time and around 8:30 a.m. They had previously warned the public not to expose the whereabouts of police as they worked to address the situation.

CNN network partner CTV said its reporter there said "police appeared to be focused on one particular residence" and that he heard four shots during a five-minute stretch.

Earlier the force asked people to avoid the scene and urged onlookers not information about the position or activities of police or first responders while the incident was "active". "My heart goes out to everyone affected by this morning's shooting", he said.

More recently on July 22, a man opened fire in a bustling nightlife district of Toronto, killing an 18 year old woman and a 10 year old girl and wounding 13 other people.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER