Thai Navy Pays Tribute to Cave Rescue Crew

Danny Woods
July 12, 2018

Boys rescued from the Thai cave wearing masks and resting in a hospital in Chiang Rai. They are children being children, it was an accident'.

"This has been the largest, most complex cave rescue in history". On Tuesday authorities said some of the boys had asked to eat bread with chocolate spread, but mostly they'll be given a food similar to milk which is rich in proteins and nutrients. An American military diver added: "Those kids were proper knocked out".

After days of mounting speculation, a former Thai Navy SEAL diver broke the silence, revealing the boys were sleeping or partially-conscious as they were passed from diver-to-diver through the cave.

The footage, which was posted on the Thai Navy SEAL Facebook page and captioned "the operation the world never forgets", appears to show the workers carrying the boys on stretchers.

"My wife actually grew up with the Thai Navy SEAL that died in the cave".

It shows divers preparing to plunge into murky brown waters likened to "cold coffee". Other helpers heave on ropes to haul the children up steep sections.

Falling oxygen levels, risk of sickness and the imminent prospect of more rain flooding the cave complex for months meant "the long-term survivability of the boys in the cave was becoming a less and less feasible option", Anderson said. They are then lowered down steep drops and pulled through terrifyingly narrow choke points. But family members have seen at least some of the boys from behind a glass barrier, and after a period of time with no problems, the family members would be allowed closer while dressed in sterilized clothing. Authorities are anxious about the possibility of infections picked up in the cave.

More news: Instagram Model Bitten By A Shark While Trying To Take Pictures

Thai navy commander Chaiyananta Peeranarong said: "Some of them were asleep, some of them were wiggling their fingers". There were also doctors stationed throughout the journey to monitor the condition of the boys, AFP reported.

People magazine was granted a sneak peak of ABC News' 20/20 special edition where they discovered one of the boys' mates was holding a vigil by keeping his trapped friend's school seat warm.

When they finally emerged, they were given sunglasses to protect their eyes from the sunlight and carried to waiting helicopters.

Chaiwetch Thanapaisal, director of Chiang Rai Prachanukroh Hospital, told a news conference involving officials involved in the rescue that "everyone is strong in mind and heart".

Narongsak said about half of the 13 foreign divers on the crack team of 18 who rescued the boys were British.

None in the third group - four boys and their 25-year-old coach - suffered hypothermia, according to Thongchai. It took the divers about eight hours to get into the cave, reach the boys and bring them back out.

The dramatic rescue operation dominated front-page headlines in Thailand. They forged deeper into the cave and found a dry, elevated slope where they remained stranded in total darkness for 10 days before rescuers located them.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article