Suspect wanted for officer-involved shooting dies in standoff

Frederick Owens
July 16, 2018

A manhunt was on for a gunman who shot three police officers in Kansas City, Missouri, during a confrontation Sunday afternoon, authorities said.

WDAF reported that two of the officers were shot when they encountered the suspect with a rifle at a motel early Sunday afternoon. There, more gunfire was exchanged and the third officer was shot.

Sunday evening, Kansas City police tweeted crime scene photos showing an undercover police vehicle riddle with gunshots.

At approximately 1:15p the armed suspect exited a residence and once again exchanged gunfire with officers.

The person who is suspected of shooting the officers was barricaded inside a home around the 3000 block of Topping Avenue, according to the KC Star.

'This is the first time we laid eyes on him, ' Smith said.

There is a large police presence in area, so use a detour.

Kansas City Police Chief Rick Smith said detectives had been conducting surveillance on a person of interest in the July 6 murder and had followed him to the Sky-Vue Motel on Highway 40 on the east side of the city. He was shot and taken into custody.

More news: European Union is a foe, says Donald Trump

'We are equally disheartened hearing about the three officers who were shot in pursuit, ' Subramanian said in a statement.

- Kansas City Police (@kcpolice) July 15, 2018An additional (3rd officer) was struck by gunfire and was taken to the hospital.

The conditions of the wounded officers were not immediately released. That's when the suspect open fired on both officers.

"Around 3:30, our president got this information that the shooter got killed and that's when we also heard about the three officers that got shot", Singh said.

Authorities say they are still involved in a standoff with the suspect. The standoff continues at this time.

Officers with rifles blocked off the area around where Sunday's shooting unfolded.

The Star reported that worshippers at the United Believers Community Church were urged to leave the area as soon as possible.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article