3 detectives shot in KC; person of interest in homicide killed

Frederick Owens
July 17, 2018

Three police officers were shot on Sunday in Kansas City.

After shooting the two officers, the man fled in a vehicle with another person, police said. Over the course of about an hour police exchanged gunfire with him at least three times.

"Around 3:30, our president got this information that the shooter got killed and that's when we also heard about the three officers that got shot", Singh said.

"All right now appear to have non-life-threatening injuries, thank God", Smith said.

Police say the slain man was as a person of interest in the slaying of 25-year-old Sharath Koppu.

They were surveilling a person of interest in the homicide that happened in the 5400 block of Prospect, in which UMKC student Sharath Koppu was killed.

Two officers were wounded in that gunfire.

Koppu, from Telangana, was a software engineer who came to the U.S. in January to pursue his master's degree.

More news: WWE Reinstates Hulk Hogan From Suspension Following Racial Slurs

Police had been watching multiple locations for the homicide suspect, and he "popped up" at Sky-Vu Motel, 8300 E. US 40, Chief of Police Rick Smith said. "Had my son kn-own how to open the cash registry or had he been told what to do for protection when someone attac-ks, we would not have lost him".

"I can't think those people enough for having the courage to call our tips hotline and be willing to reach out to us", Kansas City Police Chief Rick Smith said. He was shot and taken into custody.

In searching for the suspect, police blocked off traffic around 5618 East 28th St. Officers with semiautomatic long guns were positioned at each street corner. He was later declared deceased by KCFD.

According to police, undercover detectives and tactical operations were working an ongoing investigation at the Sky Vu Motel at 8300 E. 40 Highway.

Shortly before 1 p.m., witnesses reported a barrage of gunshots near the area police were searching.

During that, one additional officer was hit by gunfire there and was also taken to the hospital. They are in stable condition. That officer's condition is unknown at this time.

The Star reported that worshippers at the United Believers Community Church were urged to leave the area as soon as possible.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article