US Warns Citizens in China After 'Abnormal' Sound Injures Worker

Danny Woods
May 23, 2018

Lee said the employee experienced "a variety of physical symptoms" between late 2017 through April 2018.

In October, a State Department official said the USA had "received a handful of reports from US citizens who report they experienced similar symptoms following stays in Cuba".

A USA government employee in southern China has reported abnormal sensations of sound and pressure, the State Department said on Wednesday, in a case that recalls the mystery illness that hit American diplomats serving in Cuba.

So far, this incident appears to be isolated, as there have not been any similar situations reported within the diplomatic community in China or among other American citizens in country, The Associated Press reported.

The statement continues with a warning: "While in China, if you experience any unusual acute auditory or sensory phenomena accompanied by unusual sounds or piercing noises, do not attempt to locate their source".

The odd trauma inflicted on the U.S. official there recalls a similar spate of reports from Cuba, where USA officials reported symptoms consistent with a "sonic attack" or exposure to harmful frequencies while overseas.

In Cuba previous year, the U.S. disclosed that 24 diplomats and their family members had fallen victim to an unsolved mysterious attack that left them with injuries resembling brain trauma. The employee was sent back to the United States for assessment.

US Warns Citizens in China After 'Abnormal' Sound Injures Worker

The health alert issued Wednesday warned US citizens to be vigilant.

"The Department is taking this incident very seriously and is working to determine the cause and impact of the incident", Lee said in an email.

Responding to these claims, the Cuban Foreign Ministry denied any Cuban involvement in the alleged attacks.

The U.S. operates a consulate in Guangzhou, a sprawling commercial city and port in southern China. State Department said in its health advisory posted online Wednesday. "Instead, move to a location where the sounds are not present", the alert advised.

Last October, the State Department ordered non-essential embassy personnel and the families of all staff to leave Havana, arguing the USA could not protect them from unexplained illnesses that have harmed at least 24 Americans. "The Chinese government has assured us they are also investigating and taking appropriate measures".

Staff there reported symptoms including hearing loss, dizziness, fatigue and cognitive issues, though Cuban officials dismissed the idea of acoustic strikes as "science fiction" and accused Washington of slander. Officials believe some type of sonic weapon may have been used.

More news: Tuticorin death toll: Once again, police fails the crowd control test

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER