Nawaz Sharif rejects NSC's condemnation of his Mumbai terror attack remarks

Lynette Rowe
May 16, 2018

The National Security Council (NSC), in a special meeting on Monday called by the military, rejected Sharif's comments on the Mumbai attacks in an interview with Pakistan's Dawn newspaper as "incorrect and misleading", the prime minister's office said in a statement. Sharif's comments - in which Sharif implied he was removed from office by the Supreme Court a year ago for trying to end military support for anti-India militants - has led to an uproar in Pakistan, where criticising the military is considered a "red line" that can not be crossed.

"Today Nawaz Sharif rejected the Committee's stance".

"Surjewala further said: "Our second question to Modi is, will you show the courage of conviction and the 56" chest to ensure that the trial of 26/11 perpetrators, who are neither being adequately tried nor punished in Pakistan, is either held under the guidance of global agencies or they are handed over alternatively to India?" Talking to reporters at the Accountability Court hearing corruption cases against him and his family, Nawaz, 68, said the NSC statement is "wrong, painful and frightening".

The former Pakistan PM also reaffirmed his demand for the formation of a national commission to separate fact from fiction. "A decision should be made about who is a patriot and who is a traitor", he added. Nawaz Sharif said it should become known now as to who is responsible for bringing the country to this juncture and who laid the foundation of terrorism in the country. "I am not an ordinary citizen but a three-time prime minister elected by the people of Pakistan, hence, I am privy to realities", Sharif was quoted by the Express Tribune, as saying.

More news: The Home Depot (HD) Given a $205.00 Price Target at Wells Fargo

The petition maintains that the interview further sheds light on the United Nations resolution against Hafiz Saeed, who has been the suspect of Mumbai attacks, since years.

If the statement was wrongly presented, then why PML-N president Shehbaz Sharif and party leader Chaudhry Nisar had been issuing clarifications, he further asked.

Meanwhile, a petition was filed with the Lahore High Court (LHC) seeking action against Nawaz for his recent controversial statement regarding 2008 Mumbai attacks.

"Call them non-state actors, should we allow them to cross the border and kill over 150 people in Mumbai?"

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER