Naked man busted after claiming bomb 'about to go off' at airport

Lynette Rowe
May 14, 2018

Chitwood revealed Greenwood was "well known" to local police and had been arrested a number of times previously. During Greenwood's arrest, he claimed that a bomb was about to go off at the airport, deputies said.

Police reported that the man entered the airport, undressed in an under construction restroom, and then mentioned an explosion, triggering the evacuation of the building. Greenwood had arrived at the airport with his clothes on but emerged from a bathroom naked, Chitwood said.

Chitwood said the episode began about 6 a.m. when deputies were called to deal with a naked man in baggage claim who was trying to get out onto the tarmac. He went into an airport bathroom and came out naked without the bag, deputies said.

As he was taken into custody, Greenwood told deputies he didn't need emergency medical treatment, body-cam video released by the Sheriff's Office showed.

Deputies used their taser guns to subdue him after he got on the baggage carousel. The bomb's going to go off. "I planted a bomb in the bathroom, '" Sheriff Chitwood added.

The airport was evacuated as authorities, including bomb and K-9 units, responded to the terminal.

More news: Price solid in return as Red Sox beat Blue Jays, 5-2

"He was naked", Chitwood said.

Greenwood eventually informed deputies he had ingested ecstasy and other drugs Thursday night.

According to The Daytona Beach News-Journal, the unidentified man behind the threat was said to be in police custody; it was also noted that he was stunned with a Taser during the incident as he attempted to crawl into the baggage conveyor belt's opening space. He was arrested in 2017 for assault on an officer and was held under the Baker Act twice in the same year. "Usually they close a small area if they find (an unattended) bag, but I've never seen them empty out the whole terminal".

Two flights were about to depart, but they did not leave. "I was about 10 minutes from boarding when they told us to evacuate".

No flights were canceled, just rescheduled, and passengers had to wait outside the airport for about an hour and half, said Jay Cassens, an airport spokesman.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article