Iran foreign minister sets off on tour to save nuclear deal

Frederick Owens
May 14, 2018

Iran's foreign minister has held talks in China as he began a diplomatic tour with the remaining signatories of a multinational nuclear deal following the recent United States withdrawal from the landmark 2015 pact.

President Hassan Rouhani said he had asked Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif to negotiate with European countries, China and Russian Federation in the coming weeks.

"Iran's Military Budget is up more than 40% since the Obama negotiated Nuclear Deal was reached.just another indicator that it was all a big lie". He says this is because they realise that the deal was not benefiting the Iranian people, but emboldening Iran's leadership to continue their terror activities and threaten the region.

After the Chinese capital, Zarif will attend talks in Moscow and Brussels with representatives of the pact's other signatories.

Mr. Bolton, a National Security Council spokesman said, consulted widely with his colleagues and European allies on Iran.

President Donald Trump's decision to pull out of the 2015 nuclear agreement with Iran has caused serious concerns on both sides of the Atlantic.

President Trump has discussed with President Macron in France with Chancellor Merkel in Germany with Prime Minister May in England to move beyond the deal.

The sanctions will target critical sectors of Iran's economy, including petrochemicals, energy and finance.

More news: Four killed, over 20 injured in multiple blasts in Afghanistan's Jalalabad

A poll on Channel 2 television the day after Trump scrapped the Iran deal showed Netanyahu's right-wing Likud party would gain five seats if elections were held now, winning 35 in the 120-seat parliament and strengthening its position in a ruling coalition.

"There is a realization among all European states what we can not keep going in the direction we are headed today whereby we submit to American decisions", said French Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire.

Mogherini launched a thinly veiled verbal assault on the US President as she set out her determination to save the Iran nuclear deal during an address in Florence today.

Some analysts, however, accused him of doubling down on hawkish policies towards Iran. Trump has repeatedly pointed to those omissions in referring to the accord as the "worst deal ever".

Speaking on "Fox News Sunday", Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said withdrawing from the 2015 accord wasn't aimed at Europeans, but he didn't rule out the US imposing sanctions on entities that continue to do business with Iran, even as efforts continue to strike a new deal.

"China is highly concerned with the direction of the Iranian nuclear issue and is willing to maintain communication with all relevant parties, including Iran", said Geng Shuang, spokesman for China's Foreign Ministry.

Earlier in the week, France, Germany and the United Kingdom expressed "regret and concern" over the US' withdrawal. Le Maire asked. "Or do we want to say we have our economic interests, we consider we will continue to do trade with Iran?" On Saturday, French President Emmanuel Macron told Trump in a telephone call that he was anxious about stability in the Middle East, according to Macron's office.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER