Four killed, over 20 injured in multiple blasts in Afghanistan's Jalalabad

Frederick Owens
May 13, 2018

At least three explosions were heard at the start of the attack on the building housing the state accounts office, the first from a auto bomb detonated at the entrance, said Attahullah Khogyani, a spokesman for the provincial governor. "The clearing operation is ongoing".

No one immediately claimed responsibility for the attack.

At least four people had been killed and 20 wounded, a spokesman for the Nangarhar provincial governor told media.

He says there were at least two explosions followed by a gunbattle that was still underway. The attackers then stormed the building, trading fire with security officials.

Sohrab Qaderi, a member of the provincial council, told Reuters that at least four militants, armed with rocket-propelled grenades and machine guns, are still fighting the police. Some areas of the province are a stronghold of the Islamic State group but Taliban fighters are also active there.

More news: SPDR MSCI Canada StrategicFactors ETF (QCAN) Declines 0.05% for May 11

It was the latest in a series of high-profile attacks that have killed and wounded hundreds of civilians in Afghanistan this year and put heavy pressure on the Western-backed government of President Ashraf Ghani. Officials are concerned that a low voter turnout will undermine the credibility of the poll.

Operation Al Khandaq will target United States forces and "their intelligence agents" as well as their "internal supporters", a Taliban statement said in late April.

Inamullah Miakhial, spokesman for the Nangarhar hospital, said nine people were killed and more than 35 wounded.

This article has been adapted from its original source.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER