Tunde Bakare Urges FG To Secure Release Of Chibok girls, Leah Sharibu

Frederick Owens
April 15, 2018

On Monday, January 15, 2018, Boko Haram released a video showing some of the abducted school girls declaring that they don't want to return home. Hence, government at all levels must prioritise safe cities, provision of security and safe spaces in our schools in order to encourage girls' enrolment and retention as well as protect them from all forms of violence. But, look at when they first said the girls had been married off, we were able to secure the release of some of the girls.

Salkida tweeted, "Today, my painstaking investigations on the #Chibokschoolgirls revealed that just a handful of the 113 #ChibokGirls are alive. Does he remember his pledge to rescue our girls?"

"What is the status of the remaining 15 girls as far as negotiations are concerned?"

The kidnapping led to a global outcry for their release.

Salkida, a journalist, known to have access to information as regards the kidnapped Chibok girls, had on Saturday said numerous girls died as a result of crossfires from security forces.

Boko Haram insurgents have abducted at least 1,000 children in the north-east since 2013, according to UNICEF.

It will be hard for the 15 to be rescued, he said, because they have been indoctrinated and married off, and Shekau now has no power over them.

More news: Kyle Larson tops second practice at Bristol Motor Speedway

He said, "Who are the people making the claim".

The 19-year-old was discovered with a four-month-old baby and a man she described as her husband near Boko Haram's Sambisa Forest enclave.

However, Buhari in a statement on Friday through his Senior Special Assistant (SSA) Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, assured parents of the girls that "their daughters will never be forgotten or abandoned to their fate, despite four long years since they were taken away by terrorists".

Garba however said "Following the numerous press enquiries on the information contained in the series of tweets by Mr Ahmed Salkida, we wish to reiterate that the information is not known to the officials of this administration either from the captors of the Chibok girls or the worldwide intercessors who are working with us.

The recent safe return of more than 100 of the Dapchi girls following the determined efforts of the Federal Government, should give all of us confidence that all hope is not lost".

President Muhammadu Buhari has pledged to ensure the rescue of the remaining Chibok Secondary School girls still with Boko Haram.

"If there is any information he has concerning the remainder of those girls, he has, up till this moment not approached the government of Nigeria with it".

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER