Putin critic Glushkov murdered, London police say

Frederick Owens
March 18, 2018

On Friday, police in London said it was murder, something that seems to happen a lot to Russians in the United Kingdom.

"A murder investigation has been launched following the results of a post-mortem into the death of 68-year-old Russian businessman Nikolai Glushkov", London's Metropolitan Police said on Friday.

Nikolai Glushkov, 68, a Russian who had been granted political asylum in the United Kingdom, was found dead on Monday night in his London home, according to a post on Facebook by Damian Kudryavtsev, a board member of a Russian newspaper, citing "common friends" they shared.

However, police have said at this stage there is nothing to suggest there is any link between the attempted murders, nor any evidence that Glushkov was poisoned.

A special post mortem began on Thursday, 15 March and we received the pathologist report today, March 16, which gave the cause of death as compression to the neck.

Russia's Investigative Committee, which reports directly to President Vladimir Putin, has also opened a murder investigation into Mr Glushkov's death.

More news: Halep breezes into semi-finals

Alex Goldfarb, an opponent of Mr Putin who knew Mr Glushkov, said: "I think he was murdered by the Russians".

After Mr Berezovsky was found hanged in the bathroom of his Berkshire home in March 2013, Mr Glushkov told The Guardian he would "never believe" his friend took his own life.

Glushkov had worked for Russian airline Aeroflot and at Berezovksy's LogoVAZ vehicle company. The airline pursued the case in London and Glushkov was due to attend a hearing on Monday at 10:30 a.m.

A British judge in 2014 reached an open verdict on Berezovsky's death, saying he could not be sure if the Russian killed himself at his former wife's British home or was the victim of foul play.

The Russian embassy in London said this week that it had asked British authorities for details of Glushkov's death.

In 1999, he was charged with money laundering and fraud and went to prison for five years.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article