Florida shooter faces death penalty for school massacre

Frederick Owens
March 14, 2018

Cruz walked into Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in the south Florida city of Parkland on February 14 and opened fire at students and staff with an AR-15-style semi-automatic weapon.

Florida prosecutors will seek the death penalty for Nikolas Cruz, the 19-year-old man accused of killing 17 people at a Florida high school last month, according to a notice of intent filed by Broward State Attorney Michael Satz.

In a notice filed Tuesday in circuit court, Michael Satz, the Broward state attorney, said the state meant to seek the death penalty for Cruz and would prove that the crime "was especially heinous, atrocious or cruel".

Cruz's public defender Howard Finkelstein is not contesting his client's guilt, and is instead offering to have him plead guilty in exchange for life in prison.

"We are still ready to enter a plea of "guilty" to several consecutive life sentences, without parole, out of respect for the victims of this tragedy", Weekes said.

Prosecutors said they chose to seek the highest form of punishment due to a number of factors.

More news: Founder Of House Of Givenchy, Hubert De Givenchy Dies At Age 91

His lawyers have let it be known he is prepared to plead guilty if he is guaranteed not to receive a death sentence.

Florida voters may get a chance to decide whether or not they want to approve new gun control restrictions.

Broward Health spokeswoman Jennifer Smith said Tuesday that Anthony Borges' condition has now been upgraded to fair. The commission has the power to ask voters to approve changes to the state's constitution.

The defendant was arrested shortly after the shooting at the high school, which is the worst high school shooting in United States history.

Borges' family has filed notice that they will sue Florida authorities to seek money to cover the cost of his recovery.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article