Over 100 school girls still missing after Boko Haram attack: Nigerian police

Frederick Owens
February 22, 2018

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has described the reports of missing schoolgirls from the Government Girls Science Technical College (GGSTC) located in Dapchi, Bursari Local Government area of Yobe State as shocking.

President Muhammadu Buhari dispatched his foreign and defense ministers on Wednesday to Yobe to investigate the situation, said Information Minister Lai Mohammed, who was also headed there. "We are still hopeful that more are returning soon", he said.

At least 13 students may still be missing, and Reuters was unable to determine how the two girls died.

On additional information the government has as regards the girls aside the 48 that has returned, he said, "That is precisely why me".

The attack comes nearly four years after Boko Haram gained worldwide infamy for abducting about 276 girls at Government Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State.

More than 50 girls in Nigeria are missing after Boko Haram militants attacked a school in the northeast on Monday, according to the governor of Yobe state.

Mr Bego said that more than 50 of the 926 students were still missing.

More news: Canada's Brady Leman wins gold medal in men's skicross at Pyeongchang Games

Reports also emerged that the insurgents seized scores of girls at the school, although official confirmation of this had been hard.

Yobe State police commissioner Abdulmaliki Sumonu initially told CNN on Tuesday that none of the schoolgirls were abducted but later admitted that the authorities needed more time to be certain of the number of missing students. "We are still searching for the remaining 94 students", one of the teachers in the school was quoted to have said.

However, social media reports indicated that 94 schoolgirls were abducted during the attack.

"I was in the school when the Boko Haram insurgents came at exactly the time we were preparing to break our usual Monday fast".

He added, "I asked the school's principal if there were abductions or deaths in the school and she said no".

The girls were rescued at a border town between Borno and Yobe and were taken to the Geidam Army Base to undergo medical checks, CNN reported. Many of the Chibok girls were freed after negotiations, but more than 100 remain in captivity, their whereabouts unknown.

Boko Haram members reportedly arrived in the village by truck and sporadically fired their weapons as people fled.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article