YouTube removing 'Tide Pod Challenge' videos

Gwen Vasquez
January 19, 2018

With the potentially fatal Tide Pod Challenge resurfacing and going viral at the end of 2017, many have started to question whether humanity is doomed.

If someone does ingest laundry detergent, officials urge people to call the poison control helpline immediately at 800-222-1222.

To help stop the spread of this scary phenomenon, YouTube and Facebook have announced that they will begin taking down clips that show people consuming the laundry packets on their platforms, including Instagram.

The post has since been shared more than 2,400 times. Use Tide Pods for washing.

YouTube is taking action against a freaky and potentially fatal social media craze, where teens are seen eating laundry detergent pods, in an attempt to stop it from spreading further. "They should not be played with, whatever the circumstance is, even if meant as a joke".

Swallowing Tide pods were related to 91% of these, according to the the AAPCC.

"YouTube's Community Guidelines prohibit content that's meant to encourage risky activities that have an inherent risk of physical harm", a Google spokesperson said in a statement. "We work to quickly remove flagged videos that violate our policies", said a YouTube spokesperson.

More news: Mock Draft Watch: Mel Kiper sends Chargers anchor on DL

Videos discussing the trend in an educational or news setting are still permitted on the site.

On the other hand, in a Venn diagram of teenagers, I'm betting there's little to no overlap between these world-changing go-getters and the simple-minded dolts who are behind the so-called "Tide pod challenge", a moronic attention-getting stunt where teens record themselves putting laundry pods in their mouths - incidentally, the last place you'd want to put one.

Proctor & Gamble spokeswoman Petra Renck reiterated that 'laundry pacs are made to clean clothes. To put that number in perspective, we're not even a month into 2018.

If a product gets in the eye, rinse immediately with plenty of water for 15 minutes and seek medical advice as needed. "Do not induce vomiting".

"If you know someone who ingested them, or think they might have ingested them, they should go straight to the ER or call the poison control hotline center", Smith said.

Ann Marie Buerkle, acting chairman of the Consumer Product Safety Commission, told CBS that ingesting the liquid within detergent pods could be deadly. To date, at least 10 deaths - two toddlers and eight elderly people with dementia - have been attributed to the ingestion of these pods.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER