Burning spider causes apartment fire in Redding

Danny Woods
January 10, 2018

A do-it-yourself extermination gone off the rails Sunday ended up ousting residents from a California apartment.

Incredibly, it's not the first time someone has set fire to their home while attempting to kill a spider.

Lyndsey Wisegarver told AJC.com, one of the residents was trying to kill the spider in an upstairs bedroom.

Although no one was injured in the blaze, residents have been forced out of their homes.

Sure enough, as the Record Searchlight reports, the seemingly fool proof plan went awry when when the spider, now aflame, ran about the gaff setting the mattress on fire.

'It was a huge wolf spider, ' Wisegarver said.

Redding firefighters responded to the building, where residents tried unsuccessfully to extinguish the flames with a garden hose.

More news: PM Narendra Modi is a threat to democracy: Jignesh Mevani

Pitt said the fire spread to a closet in the bedroom, but firefighters were able to keep it from spreading to neighboring apartments.

Everyone was safely evacuated and the blaze was quickly brought under control but Redding Fire Battalion Chief Rob Pitt told KRCR news that the apartment is now uninhabitable.

Apparently, Wisegarver said they've been thinking about moving for a while.

"We'll make it work", she said, the Searchlight reported.

Wolf spiders are not poisonous but they can bite if provoked.

Video courtesy Mail Online.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER