High Court Allows Full Travel Ban

Frederick Owens
December 7, 2017

The United States Supreme Court on Monday allowed the Trump administration to fully enforce a ban on travel to the U.S. by residents of six Muslim-majority countries. The decision was a victory for the administration after its mixed success before the court over the summer, when justices considered and eventually dismissed disputes over the second version.

Voting 7-2, Justices Sonia Sotomayor and Ruth Bader Ginsburg were the only two to dissent from the other seven.

The court's orders mean that the administration can fully enforce its new restrictions on travel from eight nations, six of them predominantly Muslim.

The ban also covers people from North Korea and a selection of senior officials from Venezuela, but its main focus is travelers from the six mainly Muslim countries. Somalis will no longer be allowed to emigrate to the United States, but may visit with extra screening.

The Supreme Court did not give a reason for their decision.

The Trump administration and his campaign have hailed the court order as a victory for the President's position.

"We agree a speedy resolution is needed for the sake of our universities, our businesses and most of all, for people marginalized by this unlawful order", Hawaii Attorney General Douglas Chin said.

A presidential spokesman, Hogan Gidley, said the White House was "not surprised" that the court permitted "immediate enforcement of the president's proclamation limiting travel from countries presenting heightened risks of terrorism".

More news: Leader of Yemen forces loyal to Saleh is dead, says GPC

The challengers convinced the lower courts to put implementation on hold while they and government lawyers fight out the legality of the policy. The government had to show that the entry of certain individuals, or classes of individuals, covered under the ban would be detrimental to the United States, he said.

Omar Jadwat, director of the ACLU's Immigrants' Rights Project, said that it was unfortunate that the full ban can move forward for now.

Trump's Travel Ban has been finally approved by the Supreme Court.

Mr. Francisco wrote that the process leading to the proclamation was more deliberate than those that had led to earlier bans, issued in January and March.

Two federal judges had blocked latest version of the ban in October, but those rulings are now set aside. "He has repeatedly confirmed it, including just last week on Twitter", he said, referring to the President retweeting a series of anti-Muslim videos posted by a British nationalist. The policy does not apply to lawful permanent residents of the US or those holding a valid USA visa issued prior to the proclamation's effective date.

The Supreme Court said the ban will remain in effect regardless of what the appeals courts rule, at least until the justices ultimately decide whether to take up the issue on the merits, which they are highly likely to do.

The Justice Department has countered that the administration did meet its burden, pointing to findings in Trump's order that USA officials identified problems with how countries covered under the ban handled information-sharing in the immigration process, undermining the United States' ability to make sure that people entering the country don't pose a threat.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER