Mother of Dead Richardson Toddler Arrested for Child Endangerment

Danny Woods
November 18, 2017

The mother of a Texas toddler whose body was recovered last month from a drainage culvert weeks after she was reported missing was arrested Thursday on a charge of child endangerment.

Wesley, who has since been charged in connection with Sherin's death, remains in the Dallas County Jail on a charge of injury to a child. Police discovered her body in a culvert on October 22.

His statement was completely in contrast to what he had told the police earlier when he claimed he had sent Sherin outside, to an alley near their house, because she refused to drink milk.

The father later told police he "physically assisted" her in drinking her milk before she choked and died, documents say.

Regarding Mathews' changed statements, Richardson Police Sgt. Kevin Perlich said, "When they came in, they provided us with some information that was contrary to what we had previously been told regarding her disappearance". Authorities are alleging she left Sherin at their home unaccompanied for an hour and a half the night before October 7, when she was first reported missing.

Sini and Wesley Mathews adopted Sherin from India. The theory is supported by a receipt obtained by police that showed the couple purchased only one child's meal in addition to their individual meals as well as the testimony of a waiter who said only one child was present at the table.

On Thursday, her attorney Mitchell Nolte thanked Richardson police for allowing his client to surrender.

More news: Justice League Rotten Tomatoes Score Officially Revealed, and It's Bad

Sherin Mathews, 3, was found dead on October 22.

The cause of the toddler's death has not yet been determined.

Sini Mathews appeared before a family court judge Monday to attempt to regain custody of her biological daughter, who is expected to be moved at some point out of foster care to live with extended family. Mathews had reportedly grown impatient with Sherin for not drinking her milk, according to his arrest affidavit.

4 to 5 a.m.: Police said the Mathews family's maroon Acura was gone at that time and asked people in the area to check surveillance videos for the SUV. He's in jail on $1 million bond.

Sherin's death prompted External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj to ask the Indian Embassy in the United States to be actively involved in the case and keep her informed. The child began coughing and choking, her breathing slowed and then there was no longer any pulse.

They were away from their home for over an hour and a half, leaving Sherin alone without any adult supervision. The couple's other child is being placed with family in Houston, Texas, in the wake of her parents' arrests.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article