US Gives 15 Cuban Diplomats One Week to Leave Embassy in DC

Faith Castro
October 5, 2017

So to better identify patterns, investigators have created a map detailing specific areas of Cuba's capital where attacks have occurred, several individuals familiar with the matter said.

Cuba is still investigating the cause of the health effects and the decision to expel some of their officials isn't a finding of guilt or a change in policy, the us official said. Carrasco's visa had been approved prior to the announcement. Yet, the move will bring the two countries closer to the chilly state of relations they endured for decades until 2015, when they restored formal ties and reopened embassies in Havana and Washington. Extension and entry clearance with a USA passport (only for those who left Cuba before 1970) costa $160.

FILE - In this August 14, 2015, file photo, a US flag flies at the USA embassy in Havana, Cuba.

Frightening attacks on United States personnel in Havana struck the heart of America's spy network in Cuba, with intelligence operatives among the first and most severely affected victims, The Associated Press has learned.

The Associated Press, which the Los Angeles Times says is one of the few Western news outlets with offices in the Cuban capital, added an extra wrinkle to the story yesterday when it reported that United States intelligence officers working undercover were among the "first and most severely affected victims".

The FBI did not find any devices in the diplomats' homes or hotels where they were staying and are still investigating who was behind the attacks and the type of weapon that was used, two senior U.S. officials have said. The Cuban embassy has not immediately responded to a request for comment but the reduction of staff will affect the consular services in Washington.

The scope of the attacks has continued to grow and the USA disclosed on Tuesday that the 22nd victim was confirmed the day before.

He's referring to unexplained attacks in Havana that have harmed at least 22 American government workers and their family members.

In a message on Facebook, the embassy's top official, career diplomat Scott Hamilton, said he would also be leaving.

Rubio, who had been calling for the State Department to retaliate against Cuba for the attacks, applauded the decision on Tuesday. That person was the victim of an attack in January.

So far, our government has not said that it has found evidence that Cuba is responsible for the sonic attacks on USA personnel. The staff already was reduced because of hurricane warnings, and officials did not say how many people subsequently left the country.

USA officials insisted that the goal was to ensure that both countries have a similar number of diplomats in each other's capitals.

More news: Public Invited to Fire Safety Day Event in October

Employees of the Cuban Embassy, which is sent from the United States, was given seven days to leave American soil. And waiting times for these procedures can last for months. "Diplomatic List" identifies 26 accredited Cubans at the embassy, nearly all accompanied by spouses.

We are expelling the 15 Cubans today. It's been less than three years since the USA and Cuba renewed diplomatic relations.

The American diplomats will be prohibited to return to Cuba until Raul Castro's government can ensure a safe environment for them.

Though the State Department has called all the cases "medically confirmed", several U.S. officials said it's unclear whether all of the victims' symptoms can be conclusively tied to attacks.

Tensions between the two neighbors have been escalating amid serious US concern about the unexplained attacks.

On Monday, the AP reported that the attacks hit USA spies first and they also had the more severe symptoms.

The State Department has not disclosed the size of its mission in Cuba. Moreover, the United States warned the American tourists about the potential danger while the touring on Cuba.

He said the reports were being handled by the highest level of the Cuban government and an investigation was underway.

Rodriguez had met with U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson to discuss the reported attacks and said that Cuba had implemented additional security measures to protect U.S. officials.

The sonic attacks were a convenient pretext for President Trump to begin to dismantle the course of normalization of relations between the two countries that the Obama administration set in motion, Pertierra explained.

On Friday the State Department announced it would pull all non-essential diplomatic personnel out of Cuba in response to the mysterious "health attacks". The official briefed reporters on a conference call on condition of anonymity.

The incidents stopped for a time.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER