Firework sales to be banned in Delhi for Diwali, court rules

Frederick Owens
October 10, 2017

The Supreme Court of India today said its order of last November banning the sale of firecrackers in Delhi-National Capital Region (NCR) will continue till October 31.

The ban takes effect immediately and will run until November 1, said a panel of Supreme Court judges headed by Justice Arjan Kumar Sikri, adding its impact on the region's air quality would have to be examined after the festival.

The Bench headed by Justice A.K. Sikri said it would "try" to deliver the judgment on Monday.

AAP leader Ashutosh was responding to a Supreme Court ban on the sale of crackers in Delhi and NCR till November 1.

CAIT National President B C Bhartia & Secretary General Praveen Khandelwal said that Supreme Court has imposed ban on sale of fire crackers in Delhi NCR but there is no ban on bursting of crackers.

However, while one public personality raised his voice in favour of banning on the sale of firecrackers and came forward to in support of looking for other ways to celebrate one of the most auspicious festival by lighting diyas, or by eating delicious candies. The court had said that it would review its interim order after going through the report.

"SC bans fireworks on Diwali?"

More news: GM buys Lidar startup Strobe to accelerate its self-driving auto development

The court reportedly said it wanted to assess whether the ban would make a difference to Delhi's pollution levels.

"According to Hindu belief, the sound of fireworks and crackers are an indication of the joy of the people living on earth and making gods aware of their plentiful state".

The World Health Organisation measures particulate matter known as PM2.5 and last week New Delhi levels were 17 times higher than what it deems safe.

" Diwali is on October 19 and the order effectively means that no firecrackers will be available for purchase ahead of the festival". Last year, however, Delhi was at its worst with the city blanketed in a smog, which led to low visibility and difficulty breathing for more than a week after Diwali, prompting many organisations to take emergency measures.

" The petition was moved by three children aged in 2015".

The apex court's ruling also left social media divided.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER