Tube attack probe deepens, terror threat lowered

Faith Castro
September 20, 2017

A 25-year-old man was arrested on Tuesday in the Welsh city of Newport, becoming the third suspect to be arrested in connection with the Friday explosion at a subway station in west London, British police said.

British police made what they called a "significant" arrest Saturday in southern England, and searched a property in Sunbury-on-Thames as the manhunt for suspects continues following the partially exploded bomb attack on the London subway.

With the terror threat level dropping to "severe", it signifies an attack is no longer imminent but still considered highly likely.

Commuters returned to Parsons Green station Monday for the first morning rush hour since the bombing.

The 18-year-old's arrest took place at the Dover ferry terminal, a main link to Europe, and a "number of items" were recovered during the operation.

A 21-year-old man has been held in connection with a terror attack on London's underground network on Friday.

More news: Mobile is raising its throttling threshold to a massive 50GB

He was charged under section 41 of the UK's Terrorism Act.

The two suspects - one is 18 and the other is 21 - were arrested by British police on Saturday. Images posted on social media following the attack appeared to show wires protruding from a flaming bucket contained in a Lidl bag on the floor of the train carriage. The couple has been honored by Queen Elizabeth II for fostering more than 200 children, including refugees from Middle Eastern conflicts.

Suleman Sarwar, co-owner of Aladdin's Fried Chicken in Hounslow, said Farroukh worked there and was arrested by police Saturday night at the end of his shift.

On Sunday, Britain's home secretary Amber Rudd said the recent development in the investigation suggested the attacker was not a "lone wolf".

After a bombing in May at an Ariana Grande concert in the northern city of Manchester that left 22 people dead, British authorities were infuriated by a leak of important intelligence that had been shared by them with US officials, as is customary between the two close allies.

Following the attack, Amaq, the news agency of the Islamic State militant group, claimed responsibility for the bombing.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER