Organizer of Pizza 'Fyre' Festival Promises Refunds

Danny Woods
September 13, 2017

Problems may only just be starting for the organizers of this past weekend's New York City Pizza Festival, an event failure of Fyre proportions that enraged attendees by charging as much as $75 for access to a couple of tents, a DJ, "about 5 pies cut into micro slices", and "warm red wine that tasted like ass".

"It was like the people from Fyre Festival made a decision to throw a pizza party", attendee Connell Burke told Gothamist, referring to the heavily promoted, disastrous music festival that landed its promoter in jail in NY earlier this summer.

"It was like the people from Fyre Festival made a decision to throw a pizza party", attendee Connell Burke told Gothamist, in reference to the disastrous music event that went down in the Bahamas earlier this year.

Connell Burke told the Gothamist he paid $150 for VIP tickets to celebrate his girlfriend's birthday.

A pizza festival in Bushwick, N.Y., which promised "an eclectic tasting of the best pizza in NYC", failed to deliver, according to angry ticket holders.

A spokesman for New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman told an NBC affiliate that the office opened an investigation Monday. But co-owner Jeremy Asgari tells Grub that "Hangry Garden did not end up being involved in this event". Around 7:45 p.m., organizers posted on the event's Facebook page, "Hi guys, we've been hit by an incredible amount of delays in pizza delivery". The group's admin wrote, "This was a rotten scam, they promoted this as a pizza festival and a hamburger festival". "I imagined it would be like, Roberta's has a brick oven pizza that they tow, there'd be all these different vendors, all this different kind of pizza".

More news: Kurt Angle throws shade at Daniel Bryan, comments on Vince McMahon/KO incident

However, the reality was a far more tragic affair, consisting of paper plates, polyester table cloths and pizza slices tiny enough to make a grown man shed a tear of dough-deprived melancholy.

"The organizers should be held accountable", they said.

"We chose to do both on the same weekend 'cause of last week's flooding in Houston and just the rains and everything", Osekre explained in a call to Metro last week after not replying to e-mailed requests for a full vendor list in the past two weeks.

Organizers for the event responded to the backlash by posting an explanation on Facebook. "As we got closer to the event, things just didn't add up right".

"We didn't think this was going to be a subpar event", he said.

Osekre also used Wednesday morning's Facebook post to lay blame on both the media and unnamed pizzerias in Brooklyn, alluding to prior claims he made regarding "timely delivery of food [delaying] the fun experience we all looked forward to". Some attendees say the seller sent them an email apologizing "for this poorly planned event", and has posted credit back to their accounts.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER