Deputies identify three who died of carbon monoxide poisoning

Isaac Cain
September 14, 2017

Authorities said two people were found dead inside the home and one person was able to make it outside but collapsed and died. "To know that if I would have known there was a generator there, I would have. but they were all outside".

In Central Florida, four people have died and 18 injured from carbon monoxide poisoning in the aftermath of Hurricane Irma which left millions without power. "I was absolutely heartbroken to learn of the three deaths in Orange County resulting from carbon monoxide poisoning related to the use of an emergency generator", Orange County Mayor Teresa Jacobs said in a statement. "If you are running a generator and begin to feel sick, dizzy, light-headed, or experiencing flu-like symptoms, please get fresh air immediately". Depending on the level of exposure, carbon monoxide may cause headache, nausea, lethargy (or fatigue), weakness, abdominal discomfort/pain, confusion, dizziness, visual disturbances including blurred vision, numbness and tingling, loss of muscle control or coordination, irritability, agitation, chest pain, shortness of breath, palpitations, seizures, loss of consciousness, and in severe cases, death.

A generator was located on the back porch of their home.

Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless, tasteless gas, and is highly poisonous.

More news: Irma loses hurricane status but keeps spreading misery

Do not burn burn charcoal or gas grills inside homes, garages, or other enclosed spaces.

Officials urge the public to always place generators outside, in a well ventilated area with nothing covering it.

"Generators need to be kept outside homes and garages and away from open doors and windows, vents and air intakes", fire officials said in a news release. Be sure to test the batteries. If you think you have been poisoned, call the nearest Florida Poison Information Center at 800-222-1222. Louis made the call to 911.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER