Aaron Hernandez lawyer: Brain showed 'severe' case of CTE

Frederick Owens
September 22, 2017

Hernandez was found to have hanged himself in his prison cell April 19, shortly after being found not guilty of a double homicide. He filed a lawsuit in federal court in Boston on Thursday on behalf of Hernandez's daughter, claiming that the team and National Football League deprived Avielle Hernandez of the companionship of her father.

The CTE findings could strengthen her case, which she is filing on behalf of her daughter as they pursue "redress for the loss of parental consortium she has experienced based on the negligent conduct of Defendants that deprived her of the companionship and society of her father, Aaron Hernandez".

Lawyer Jose Baez and the Hernandez family immediately questioned Nields ruling vowing to do their own investigation.

Dr. Ann McKee, the director of the CTE Center at Boston University, concluded that Hernandez also had early brain atrophy and large perforations in a central membrane.

Shayanna Jenkins-Hernandez's lawsuit claims that the severe CTE suffered during his career led him to commit suicide while imprisoned.

More news: Jose Mourinho Makes Surprise Admission After Carabao Cup Win Over Burton

Former NFL player Aaron Hernandez, who was convicted of murder before committing suicide in prison in April, was found to have a severe form of brain disease, according to a report Thursday by The New York Times. Brain was studied at Boston University.

MA officials said at that time some tissue, including the brain, was being held until the cause and manner of death were determined. Baez said the CTE was at Stage 3, with Stage 4 being the highest. They also said there were no signs of a struggle and Hernandez was alone at the time of the hanging.

Hernandez was locked in his cell at about 8 p.m. and no one entered until a correction officer saw him at 3:03 a.m. and forced his way in.

Hernandez blocked access to his cell from the inside by jamming cardboard into the door tracks, investigators said. He was serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in a separate trial that took place in 2015. The results of that autopsy have never been released.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article