Young Australian boy still missing after Barcelona van attack

Danny Woods
August 19, 2017

Investigators are trying to determine whether the driver of a van that ran down pedestrians on the crowded sidewalks of Barcelona was among a group of terrorists killed hours later, in a separate attack.

On Thursday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau condemned the attack in Barcelona while expressing condolences to the victims' friends and families.

The authorities said an explosion on Wednesday evening in Alcanar, south of Barcelona, was connected to the attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils.

The day after the attack, Catalan police paid a visit to the restaurant and thanked Can and others working in Rey de Estambul for their help. This was also the largest cell of Islamic State operatives in Europe since the attacks in Paris and Brussels in late 2015 and early 2016. Three other Moroccans and one Spaniard have also been detained.

At least one American was killed in the attacks, US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said.

All of the terrorists were shot dead by police.

They shot and killed five people earlier today who were wearing fake bomb belts as they attacked the seaside resort of Cambrils with a speeding vehicle. In total, the twin attacks left more than 100 injured.

Des policiers espagnols en armes à Barcelone après l'attaque sur les Ramblas le 17 août 2017

Officials say questions should be directed to the Consulate of Canada, which is just a kilometre away from where the attack occurred, as well as the Emergency Watch and Response Centre in Ottawa.

Police said the incident was linked to the Barcelona attack, as was an explosion that destroyed a house in Alcanar, Catalonia.

Police are still searching for Younes Abouyaaqoub, 22, who has not been ruled out as possibly being the van driver in Barcelona.

The five occupants of the vehicle were killed by police.

People weren't sure whether gunshots heard were coming inside the building, and were terrified that there might be a shooter in the hotel, Gray said.

In the wake of the carnage several controlled blasts were carried out in the area, with police later saying the attackers had been wearing explosive belts. "It's not what they had in mind initially", Trapero said, according to Reuters.

Hajar Menssouri, a 24-year-old laboratory technician and student, told CNN: "I joined the march to show that fear would not divide us".

More news: Trump's hard words for North Korea had an effect

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER