United States remains poised to attack North Korea

Gladys Abbott
August 19, 2017

Dunford is visiting South Korea, Japan and China after a week in which Trump declared the US military "locked and loaded" and said he was ready to unleash "fire and fury" if North Korea continued to threaten the United States.

South Korean President Moon Jae-in on Monday met visiting top US General Joseph Dunford to discuss the North Korea issue.

Dunford, who arrived in Seoul on Sunday, also will meet with Defense Minister Song Young-moo and other senior officials during his two-day visit, Yonhap said, citing Moon's office.

According to Moon's spokesman, Dunford said in the meeting that the U.S. would only consider military action against North Korea if all diplomatic and economic sanctions failed. There may be uncertain risks of these "defensive" actions resulting in greater harm rather than less harm in North Korea, South Korea, Japan or Guam. The move is created to calm the situation in the region after weeks of North Korea and the United States exchanging threats of war. Thousands of U.S. soldiers are stationed in South Korea and Japan.

"In order to defuse the tensions and prevent the risky military conflict on the Korean peninsula, it is necessary for the U.S. to make a proper option first", he added.

Yesterday James Mattis, the United States defence secretary, said it would be "game on" if North Korea fired a missile that hit American territory.

More news: Armour, Simpson share 2nd-round lead in Wyndham Championship

The adviser visited the United States in June and attended leaders summits in North Korea in 2000 and 2007.

National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster took a similar tack to Pompeo, declaring that Trump's threats were simply to remove any "ambiguity" about what to expect if Pyongyang continued to threaten the US. It is not possible to blast Kim Jong-Un's totalitarian dystopia with fire and fury the likes of which the world has never seen without causing severe collateral damage to South Korea.

The tests are seen as a milestone in the North's quest to develop a nuclear-tipped missile capable of hitting the USA mainland.

China and Russian Federation pushed Tuesday for talks to defuse the "confrontational spiral" between the U.S. and North Korea after Kim Jong-Un stepped back from a planned missile strike near Guam.

In a statement last week, General Kim Rak Gyom, commander of the Strategic Force of the Korean People's Army, said the plan to fire "four Hwasong-12 intermediate-range strategic ballistic rockets.to signal a crucial warning to the US" would be ready by "mid-August".

North Korea is angry about new United Nations sanctions over its expanding nuclear weapons and missile program and the upcoming military drills between Washington and Seoul. Xi urged the U.S. to adopt a flexible attitude and said that dialogue and negotiations should be the main approach to resolving the North Korean nuclear issue.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER