Seven White Helmets members shot dead in northwest Syria

Frederick Owens
August 13, 2017

Unidentified assailants shot dead seven members of Syria's White Helmets rescue service early Saturday during a raid on their base in a jihadist-held northwestern town of Sarmin, the group said.

"7 SCD volunteers were killed by unknown armed men in Sarmin SCD center, Idlib, in the morning", the White Helmets said.

The UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the seven volunteers who died had all been shot in the head.

The volunteers were attacked on Saturday morning in Sarmin, six miles east of the city of Idlib, which is controlled by the Hayat Tahrir al-Sham jihadist alliance. The latter group had been known as Jabhat al-Nusra before renouncing its ties to al Qaeda.

A restriction lobbyist situated in Idlib who has been giving The Associated Press data about the territory for a considerable length of time said the aggressors utilized guns outfitted with silencers, including that individuals living adjacent did not see anything weird. He added that most likely members of ISIL carried out the attack to show that Idlib is not safe.

Sarmin used to be a stronghold of the Jund al-Aqsa extremist group that clashed with al-Qaida past year before many of its members were allowed to head to areas controlled by ISIL, whom they are fighting now.

The Syrian specialists on call have been known to hazard their lives to spare individuals from the common war, now in its 6th year.

More news: Manchester City vs. Brighton 2017 live stream

The White Helmets organization was formed in 2013, working to rescue civilians in rebel-held areas in Syria.

They have since gained widespread global renown for their daring rescues, with footage often taken and circulated on social media.

Although they work exclusively in rebel-held areas, they are non-partisan.

President Bashar al Assad's government, meanwhile, accuses the group of faking videos and being a tool of its worldwide donors.

Ahmad al-Masalmeh, a restriction extremist situated in the southern region of Daraa, said in regards to 80 Army of Islam individuals were eating inside a tent when the suicide assailant strolled in and exploded himself.

No one claimed responsibility for the deadly bombing but ISIL has previously claimed such attacks.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER