Nine-man Chelsea beaten by Burnley

Lynette Rowe
August 13, 2017

Chelsea, who had club captain Gary Cahill and Cesc Fabregas sent off, trailed 3-0 at the interval, and despite finding a route back into the match in the second period, Burnley held on for their first ever Premier League victory at Chelsea.

"A lot was made of our away form last season", Vokes said. And their seven points on the road was the second-worst record in the league. "I haven't seen it but my staff tell me it's the correct decision", Dyche said. "If he gets 4 this will be one hell of a game".

Mooy showed the toughness that earned him player of the season honours in the Terriers' promotion campaign, highlighted by a challenge on Luka Milivojevic which set up his side's best chance of the first 20 minutes as Tom Ince attacked down the left. "We started well with good intensity and were dominating the game".

"It kills a few things off early doors, and allows the players just that little edge of growth".

It was the third consecutive competitive match in which the Blues have received a red card, having had Victor Moses sent off in May's FA Cup final and Pedro removed in last week's Community Shield, both games against Arsenal.

Conte said: "I prefer not to answer questions about Costa - for me it's in the past".

"Because through my choices I put the best players that we have with this moment".

More news: Manchester United v West Ham United

A brace from Sam Vokes and one more from Stephen Ward proved to be enough to take Burnley over the line, despite second-half goals from debutant Alvaro Morata and David Luiz.

But the Italian did concede that Cahill's dismissal - and his players' reaction to it - was the main cause of Chelsea's first opening-day defeat since 1998.

"The shape and organisation was great".

It wasn't to be the end of the first half scoring. (Chelsea) had to respond, which they did, so credit to them, but we were disappointed with the two goals.

The Blues were crowned champions in May after a scintillating debut campaign for Conte at Stamford Bridge but the Italian warned his side they can not repeat the same mistakes made under Jose Mourinho in 2015.

"It's a big win for us because they're a fine side".

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER