Authorities release ironic last text message sent by electrocuted 14-year old

Frederick Owens
July 18, 2017

THE tragic final photo taken by a 14-year-old girl who was electrocuted while using her mobile phone in the bath has been released as a warning to others.

Coe, of New Mexico, reportedly texted an image of her phone charger plugged into an extension cord to a friend along with the message, "When you use [an] extension cord so you can plug your phone in while you're in the bath".

The report from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and the Lovington Police Department says she plugged her cell phone into an extension cord, which was plugged into a non-GFCI, non-grounded bathroom wall outlet.

'When you use and (sic) extension cord so you can plug in your phone while you're in the bath, ' the text read.

Coe's mother Angela O'Guinn Downs also used her Facebook page to raise awareness on staying safe while using electronic devices such as cellphones.

Her family described Madison as a smart and loving girl, who recently graduated from the eighth grade at Terra Vista Middle School. Before this incident took place, she was expected to start her high school in Houston, as her family was shifting.

Officials said the teen was most likely unaware a large portion of the cord was damaged.

More news: British Airways planes diverted to Bournemouth Airport

Federal safety regulators are investigating the death of a Texas teenager who is suspected to have died from electrocution in New Mexico after her plugged-in cellphone made its way into the bathtub she was in.

"It's not uncommon for her to spend two hours to two and a half hours in the bathtub", her stepmother Felisha Owens told CBS affiliate KRQE.

Madison has been remembered by her family and friends as a keen basketball fan and tuba player.

According to her grandmother, Coe was very sweet and managed to endear herself to just about anyone when she was still alive.

"She was such a bright, vibrant, very intelligent, loving, caring young lady", O'Guinn-Downs said.

"And we want something good to come out of this as awareness of not using your cell phone in the bathroom as it is plugged in and charging".

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER