(UPDATE) Islamic State claims responsibility for London attack

Gwen Vasquez
June 5, 2017

The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) on Sunday issued a claim of responsibility for an attack that killed seven people in a busy area of Central London.

Professor Anthony Glees, director at the Center for Security and Intelligence Studies at the University of Buckingham, said May's tougher stand on terror following the London Bridge attack which killed seven and injured 48 was correct.

In a televised statement, the prime minister said the attack marked a "new trend in the threat we face" - assaults in which both methods and ideology echoed those of previous strikes.

Going on despite the threat is one part of the answer to terrorism - as is the "Enough is enough" speech of Prime Minister Theresa May.

The attack comes just days before Thursday's general election.

After almost an hour had passed he went downstairs to assess the situation and said he was immediately confronted by armed police on the hunt for attackers.

A 38-year-old woman was arrested at "address 1" and 11 more at "address 2", police said in a statement.

European Commission president Jean-Claude Juncker wrote to May offering the body's "full and unwavering support", adding: "The cowardly people who committed these attacks will not undermine our resilience, our compassion or our democracies".

As dawn broke over the capital, a large area on the south bank of the River Thames remained cordoned off. Police told people to avoid the area, leaving tourists and revelers struggling to get home.

Corbyn has also criticized Conservative cuts to police budgets that saw the number of officers nationwide fall by nearly 20,000 between 2010 and 2016 - years when May, as home secretary, was in charge of policing.

Political parties promptly suspended campaigns out of respect for the victims, who included 48 people treated in hospital, some of them in life-threatening conditions. Rowley says they had "already killed members of the public and had to be stopped immediately".

More news: Yale defeats Holy Cross 9-5 to stay alive in Corvallis

Rowley said police were making significant progress in identifying the three attackers, but gave no details.

On Saturday night, following the attack, Mr Trump tweeted a message of support to the United Kingdom, but also sparked controversy after he called for his travel ban on visitors from six predominantly Muslim countries to be upheld by USA courts.

Trump's remarks come hours after he lashed out at London Mayor Sadiq Khan, who urged the city's residents to remain calm following the attack.

Across the world in Sydney, Australia, US defence secretary Jim Mattis and secretary of state Rex Tillerson pledged unity with America's longtime ally in fighting Islamic extremists who seek to intimidate the West.

The other six victims are yet to be officially named.

Less than two weeks ago, a suicide bomber killed 22 people including children at a concert by USA singer Ariana Grande in Manchester in northern England.

"They went "this is for Allah" and they had a woman on the floor, they were stabbing her", said witness Gerard Vowls. "God Bless the Brits!" said one Twitter user in a post that was liked more than 85,000 times. One image taken by a witness showed a man on the ground surrounded by police; he appeared to be wearing a vest with canisters attached to it.

"I like learning about something before I talk", Mattis said.

The Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre decided not to increase it to critical, the highest level, which happened after the Manchester suicide bombing last month.

Richard Angell, who was in a restaurant, said he looked out and saw "a guy who is throwing a table at somebody, and it's very unclear about what is happening". I am humbled by the bravery of an officer who will rush towards a potential suicide bomber thinking only of protecting others.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER