Unclear when inmates will return to Georgia

Alvin Kelly
June 18, 2017

Traffic remains backed up for several miles on Interstate 24 East in Murfreesboro as investigators remain on the scene.

Authorities in Tennessee have released audio of a 911 call from a man who says his home was invaded by two escaped inmates from Georgia. "I'm still tremendously sad about these officers", a relieved Sills told reporters Thursday night. It showed the two men tattooed and exhausted. It was just a few hours after being apprehended on Pruitt Road, near I-24.

The fugitives were taken to the Rutherford County jail, and in a hearing on Friday, wearing orange jumpsuits and surrounded by officers, they waived their right to challenge their extraditions to Georgia. There, they then tried to take the vehicle.

But on the third day of a nationwide manhunt, two Georgia inmates who officials said had killed a pair of guards in a brazen escape from a prison bus were captured in Tennessee on Thursday evening.

After Donnie Rowe and Ricky Dubose invaded a first home in rural Tennessee, they stole a vehicle and exchanged fire with law enforcement during a high-speed chase.

Tennessee Highway Patrol Lt. Bill Miller, center, speaks during a news conference held at a truck stop Thursday, June 15, 2017, in Christiana, Tenn.

Rowe and Dubose were finally taken alive.

"During the pursuit the suspects, and about that time we found out who we were dealing with, started firing on our vehicles", said Fitzhugh.

Around noon, Bedford County Sheriff Austin Swing said an abandoned auto was found on a highway that appeared to be covered up with branches.

The pair were driving 33 inmates between prisons when Rowe and Dubose overpowered them and then used the their own guns to kill them about 6.45am on Tuesday, authorities have said.

More news: Camille Cosby Calls The DA 'Heinously And Exploitively Ambitious' After Husband's Mistrial

Both of the suspects are in custody at the Rutherford County Sheriff's Office. Then the two escapees, wanted for murder, fled on foot toward homes. The officers who spotted the vehicle called in other units, and a pursuit of the suspects occurred on Interstate 24, with the vehicles exceeding 100 miles per hour.

These killers who had been on the run for three days could have been nearly anywhere.

Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills said the inmates fled from the bus near Eatonton, about 70 miles southeast of Atlanta.

Georgia's Sheriff Sills commented, "This was a brutal double murder of two correctional officers that occurred in my county. I am grateful to everybody and thankful to God himself for minimizing any further harm to anyone".

Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal ® commended the "tireless efforts" of law enforcement that led to the capturing of these "dangerous fugitives".

Sills described the fugitives as violent repeat offenders and extremely unsafe, having taken the guards' 9mm pistols.

More than 45 police officers began showing up within three minutes, he said.

Kate Brumback reported from Madison and Atlanta. Rowe and Dubose were on a state corrections bus with 31 other prisoners.

Rowe is serving life without parole for armed robbery, the department of corrections said, and Dubose is serving a 20-year sentence for armed robbery.

According to New York Daily News, the men were both serving time for armed robbery among other violent crimes. He also was convicted of theft and identity fraud in cases from August, 2010.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article