Theresa May admits gov response to Grenfell fire 'not good enough'

Danny Woods
June 19, 2017

"It is hard to escape a very somber national mood", Elizabeth said in a message.

The queen's official birthday is marked in June when the weather is often nicer than in April, the actual month of her birth.

"As recent awful events in London and Manchester have brought to light, Blue Light workers do an extremely challenging job, encountering hard and traumatic situations", he said.

The fire at the 24-story public housing project broke out early Wednesday, and it has mushroomed into a political crisis, testing the government of Prime Minister Theresa May.

In a statement, the Queen praised Britons for staying "resolute in the face of adversity" after three terror attacks and the Kensington fire. "As Prime Minister, I will be responsible for implementing its findings".

After a botched snap election that lost her party its majority in parliament, May is facing criticism for her response to the blaze which engulfed the 24-storey apartment block of social housing on Wednesday.

The meeting came one day after May was chastised by protesters as she visited near the scene of the blaze.

The government has committed £5 million for clothes, food and emergency supplies for the victims. "But it would also be deeply distressing for families for us to release wrong information", he added.

British officials have announced a nationwide minute of silence to honor the victims on Monday morning.

Engineering experts and fire safety specialists believe the building's exterior cladding may have quickly fueled the blaze, overwhelming fire protection devices.

More news: Take-Two shuts down GTA Online Force Hax cheating tool

He says it may be necessary for numerous outmoded tower blocks built in the 1970s to be demolished because of safety concerns.

Mrs May said the public inquiry into the fire will take place "as soon as possible" and insisted the Government had acted on previous warnings about tower block safety by a coroner.

Mr Khan said the local community was "frustrated" and "angry" in the wake of the blaze after he attended a church service near the tower block in west London.

Building officials have not commented since the fire.

The statement officially confirmed that a 23-year-old Syrian refugee was the first victim of the huge fire.

In an interview with the BBC, May promised a public inquiry into the disaster and pledged that survivors would be rehoused within weeks.

"I remember confirming in the Commons that we would complete a review of Part B [fire safety] building regulations and publish the findings by the end of 2016 or early 2017", Mr Williams said, The Mail on Sunday reports.

While they welcomed the funding, a group of residents who met Mrs May in Downing Street at the weekend said they had not been consulted before the latest announcement, adding that it continued a "tendency to sideline residents' views". But the meeting is unlikely to quell complaints that the prime minister has been slow to reach out to fire survivors. Residents want answers on why the fire spread so quickly, trapping numerous estimated 600 residents.

The Metropolitan Police Service, which is leading the ongoing investigation, believes it has identified the origin of the fire, which so far does not appear to have been intentional.

Police have been struggling to come up with a list of who was in the building when the fire started, making it hard to determine how many died.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER