Police identify third suspect in London Bridge attack

Danny Woods
June 8, 2017

Earlier, Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera had reported that Zaghba had been stopped at an Italian airport because authorities believed he was on his way to Syria, and that Italian officials had warned British counterparts about him. An Italian interior ministry official told The Associated Press that British and Moroccan intelligence and law-enforcement authorities were informed that Zaghba had been flagged as someone "at risk" - but no other details were released.

Authorities on Monday identified the other two attackers as 27-year-old British citizen Khuram Shazad Butt and 30-year-old Rachid Redouane, who also lived in East London.

The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, said the police and MI5 must reveal what they had on file about Butt and Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said he had appeared to have "slipped through our net" despite being in plain sight.

A 27-year-old man was arrested in Barking on Tuesday, while 12 people arrested earlier were released without charge.

All three men were shot dead at the scene of the attack by officers within eight minutes of police receiving the first emergency call.

Italian authorities said Zaghba had been stopped and questioned in Italy but had not been charged with any crime.

The third London attacker has been named by Scotland Yard as a Moroccan-Italian man, Youssef Zaghba.

More news: Apple Unveils the HomePod

Police said he is from east London and his family has been notified.

According to the mother of the 22-year-old, he became radicalised online, echoing concerns raised by Prime Minister Theresa May that the internet can be fertile ground for breeding extremism.

Matt Olsen, former director of National Counterterrorism Center said (as quoted by Yahoo News), "They usually use these messages to simply inspire people to carry out attacks whenever the opportunity arises". A string of opinion polls over the past couple of weeks have pointed to a narrowing in the gap between her Conservative Party and the main opposition Labour Party.

Police said they were working to identity the third attacker.

Pc McLeod said it felt "odd" meeting the royal couple at the Metropolitan Police's Central Communications Command as so many people had been involved in the response to the attack. When questioned by police at the airport about the reasons for his journey, he replied: "I'm going to be a terrorist". This revelation will increase the pressure on United Kingdom authorities - already under fire after it emerged that another attacker, Khuram Shazad Butt, was investigated by counterterrorism police as recently as 2015.

IS claimed responsibility for Saturday night's attack, the terrorist group's agency Amaq said on Sunday.

"I understand deep down, inside my heart, the pain of these people", she said, speaking at her home near the northern city of Bologna. Meanwhile, days after 130 mosques refused to bury the Manchester Arena bomber, the Muslim Council of Britain issued a statement condemning the London attack.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER