Polański rape victim asks court to end case

Danny Woods
June 20, 2017

Samantha Geimer urged Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Scott Gordon to either dismiss the case outright or sentence Polanski without him being present.

Samantha Geimer, who was just 13 years old when Polanski admitted having sexually assaulted her in Los Angeles back in 1977, is set to appear at a court hearing in Los Angeles on Friday (June 9th) and plead to an end to the case, according to Polanski's attorney in a report by Reuters. Over the years, she has repeatedly expressed her wish that the case come to an end, and has said that the media circus was worse than the rape.

Polanski, 83, has been in self-imposed exile for almost four decades after pleading guilty to having unlawful sex with Ms Geimer at actor Jack Nicholson's Hollywood hills home in 1977. It called for no additional time behind bars for the director after he spent 42 days in a prison undergoing a diagnostic screening.

But in 1978, convinced the judge was going to scrap his plea deal and send him to prison - possibly for decades - to avoid a public backlash, he fled to France.

Polanski's attorney is seeking to unseal testimony that he says would show judicial misconduct in the case years ago.

"He thought it might help", Braun said, commenting on his conversation with the filmmaker.

Geimer told the reporters that, of course, what happened to her had been wrong, but she refused to say to the reporters that she had suffered "deep damage" due to the rape.

More news: Brexit negotiations begin in Brussels

"He got arrested. I knew he was sorry the next day", she said after the hearing. Nicholson was not home at the time. She wrote a memoir in 2013 titled, "The Girl: A Life in the Shadow of Roman Polanski".

Tate's sister Debra spoke to The News on Friday, saying she hopes the judge will resolve the case so Polanski can join her for a visit to the cemetery.

Film director Roman Polanski attends the "Based On A True Story" photocall during the 70th annual Cannes Film Festival in May. The cover features a photo shot by Polanski.

Roman Polanski's sexual assault victim has asked a judge to end the 40-year-old case against the fugitive director.

In 2008, the documentary "Roman Polanksi: Wanted and Desired" explored the allegations and reignited interest in the case.

FILE - In this May 27, 2017 photo, director Roman Polanski appears at the photo call for the film, "Based On A True Story", at the 70th global film festival, Cannes, southern France. Geimer made an impassioned argument that if the case was dropped, she could finally have freedom from it and being at the center of what was arguably one of the most controversial trials ever involving people in the movie industry.

"I'm just here to try and get things resolved - not on Roman's behalf, but on the behalf of a fair justice system", Geimer said as she arrived late Friday morning in Los Angeles Superior Court.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER