North Korea fires volley of cruise missiles, fifth test in a month

Gladys Abbott
June 19, 2017

The official said USA officials had been "in close contact with our ally South Korea" on the matter. - Picture by US Department of Defence, Missile Defence Agency via ReutersSEOUL, June 9 - South Korea does not aim to change its agreement with the United States on the deployment of a US anti-missile system and it will continue to work closely with Washington on it, the South's top national security adviser said today.

North Korea fired several suspected short-range anti-ship missiles Thur.

KCNA said the weapon tested Thursday had been part of the military parade in Pyongyang on April 15 to mark the birthday of the North's founding father Kim Il-Sung. The new TEL had tank treads, like the Pukkuksong-2 TEL and the TEL for the new Scud with terminal maneuverability tested in the final week of May. Moon's government also said it will let two of the four North Korean fishermen rescued at sea resettle in the South as per their wishes.

North Korea launched a salvo of anti-ship cruise missiles from its east coast Thursday, South Korea's military said, adding they flew some 200 kilometers before dropping in the East Sea.

The head of the USA military's missile defense program, Vice Adm. James Syring said before Congress Wednesday that the technological advances demonstrated by North Korea in its ballistic missile program in the past six months had caused him "great concern".

This latest missile launch is the fourth test-firing conducted in a month, and was claimed by the South Korean military to be a demonstration of North Korea's "precise targeting capability", reported CNN.

This put China in line with new United Nations sanctions on Pyongyang after its nuclear test and rocket launch previous year.

The missile tests have triggered calls for tougher United Nations sanctions.

More news: Favourites Portugal, Mexico meet early in Confederations Cup

South Korean President Moon Jae-in met with the National Security Council Thursday afternoon and urged vigilance against additional tests.

The launch follows the move of Moon's government suspending the deployment of a controversial United States missile defense system which had strained relations with China and angered North Korea.

U.S. President Donald Trump has vowed that a launch of an ICBM by Pyongyang "won't happen" on his watch.

The USS Carl Vinson and the USS Ronald Reagan led the three-day exercise that ended June 3, with 12 other US ships and two Japanese vessels also participating, in a show of force directed at North Korea.

With each test by North Korea of missiles, the U.N. Security Council expresses more frustration that its condemnations and assets freezes are doing little to halt the advancement of Pyongyang's nuclear program, CBS News' Pamela Falk reports from the U.N. Cruise missiles are not subject to the U.N. sanctions.

Under third-generation leader Kim Jong Un, North Korea has been conducting missile tests at an unprecedented pace in an effort to develop an intercontinental ballistic missile capable of hitting the mainland United States.

The North does not have an ICBM that can carry a nuclear warhead, as far as we know.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER