Man with gun prompts lockdown at Orlando airport

Gladys Abbott
June 5, 2017

A crisis negotiator spent almost 3 hours talking to the man, identified as 26 year old Michael Wayne Pettigrew, before he surrendered to police without incident.

The original court-martial charge accused him of also stabbing the corporal in the face, but he pleaded guilty only to stabbing the victim's arm with a knife.

Ryan Obenreder said he was running late Tuesday night when he was dropping off his sister at the airport.

Orlando International Airport said on social media there was minimum impact to operations, adding that lingering delays are possible.

"Gunman in custody. Everyone is safe. The people of Orlando are lucky to have such dedicated officers protecting them each day".

A mentally distressed former Marine who was armed with a fake gun attempted a "suicide by cop" during a almost three-hour standoff with police at the Orlando International Airport before peacefully surrendering, authorities said. Police say he was formerly in the military, and will be kept in custody in for a mental health evaluation. "And there's hundreds of police (officers) just coming in". Police realized the gun was fake once he was taken into custody. As such, there have been no reports of injuries.

Traffic near the airport is extremely slow. Flight tracking websites indicated some flights were still departing. "Will post updates as we receive them", police tweeted.

More news: Global anger at U.S. for quitting climate pact

The man is contained in the rental auto area of the airport and no shots have been fired, according to local media.

Passengers were encouraged to contact their airline for information on the status of their flight.

Greater Orlando Aviation Authority Chairman Frank Kruppenbacher praised the response of both law enforcement and airport employees.

"It was contained. There was no rush to try and arrest the suspect and cause a deadly force situation", Mina said.

The incident at the Orlando airport was first reported about 4:54 am IST.

At a press conference Tuesday night, Orlando Police Department chief John Mina said officers confronted the suspect - identified as Michael Wayne Pettigrew, 26, a former Marine - who was holding a handgun.

During the 45 minutes that portions of the airport were locked down, the man did surrender.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article