'Man killed in London mosque attack Bangladeshi'

Frederick Owens
June 19, 2017

Witnesses described hearing the man, who was detained by members of the public at the scene, shout: "I'm going to kill Muslims".

Police say the situation is fluid and declined to comment further.

- The head of Tell MAMA, an anti-Islamophobia group, says anti-Muslim hate crime in the United Kingdom has increased noticeably after the recent terror attacks in Manchester and London.

Hashi was one of three people who held the suspect on the ground for 10 minutes.

London Mayor Sadiq Khan condemned the attack.

British Prime Minister Theresa May called the attack a "terrible incident".

The police later said it was unclear whether the deceased man might have died of an unrelated condition or injuries, as he was already on the ground being treated by bystanders after an apparent collapse when the van drove onto the sidewalk. Eight injured people were taken to hospitals, and a suspect was arrested.

"All my thoughts are with the victims, their families and the emergency services on the scene", she said. The mosque called it a "callous terrorist attack".

"People now have a big question about safety in London after all these terrorist attacks, and we want to assure them that they are safe, and that's why we want to work with the police", Kozbar said.

"Extra officers are on duty in the area to help reassure the local community", Police Commissioner Cressida Dick said.

He said it was too early to say whether the person's death near the mosque was due to the attack by the van driver who ploughed into worshippers. It is being treated by police as an act of terrorism.

They killed eight people before being shot dead by police. With the early Monday incident, details are coming together with some rumors solidifying as fact. Police said a man who was driving the auto has been arrested and taken to a hospital as a precaution.

But the leader of the mosque Mohammed Mahmoud guarded him, telling a crowd: "Do not touch him". "No one! No one!"

More news: Castile protesters target city where officer worked

Witnesses explained that the driver mowed down worshippers shortly after a midnight service ended.

The Prime Minister spoke outside 10 Downing Street following a meeting with security officials and ministers in the Government's Cobra emergency committee in Whitehall. A vehicle struck pedestrians near a mosque in north London early Monday morning.

"He has been taken to hospital as a precaution and will be taken into custody once discharged". The three Islamic extremists who carried out the attack were killed by police.

Another witness, who wanted to be identified as Abdulrahman, which is not his real name, told the Press Association: "I managed to get the driver of the van".

It was an attack that once again targeted the ordinary and the innocent going about their daily lives - this time British Muslims as they left a Mosque having broken their fast and prayed together at this sacred time of year. "It appears from eyewitness accounts that the perpetrator was motivated by Islamophobia", he said.

Police said the suspected van driver, aged 48, had been detained by members of the public before being arrested on suspicion of attempted murder.

One man was pronounced dead at the scene and eight others were injured. The attack comes during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

Police said the Counter Terrorism Command was investigating the crash.

Britain's terrorist alert has been set at "severe", meaning an attack is highly likely.

"It took the police one hour to come". The site of the incident is close to another mosque near the Finsbury Park on the same road.

The Foreign Ministry has confirmed that there have been no reports of Malaysians involved in the Finsbury Park attack in London. "Our prayers are with the victims".

Police, including armed officers, could be seen manning a wide cordon around the area, while others searched the area with sniffer dogs.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article