Man convicted of 2nd-degree murder in killing of Baby Doe

Faith Castro
June 27, 2017

Jurors in MA found the Boston man accused of killing 2-year-old Bella Bond guilty of second-degree murder in her death after reaching a verdict following five days of deliberation and 15 days of testimony in the trial.

Deakin said that while Rachelle Bond acted "inexcusably" and kept silent about the crime for months, there's no evidence she killed her daughter, and that she was trying to be a good mother to the girl.

In the end, the jury sided with the prosecutors, who argued that McCarthy beat the little girl to death.

In June 2015 the girl's unidentified body, a zebra-print blanket and polka dot leggings were found on Deer Island, about eight miles east of Boston's Logan Airport.

McCarthy pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder.

After the courtroom confab, Sanders said Bond's sentencing would be rescheduled to Wednesday, July 12 at noon.

Suffolk District Attorney Daniel Conley said the verdict was justified because the testimony of the girl's mother was supported by independent physical evidence she did not know about. Michael Sprinsky, far left, gets a hug from his sister Laura Sprinsky, as the guilty verdict is read of second degree murder for defendant Michael P. McCarthy at Suffolk Superior Court in Boston on Monday, Ju.

More news: China Allows Hollywood to Audit Box Office for First Time

"Justice for Bella", the child's godmother said outside court. He called her 'honey, ' 'good girl, ' " the Boston Globe reported. He noted that Bond, 41, had repeatedly lied about her daughter's whereabouts in the weeks following her death. "What the f- did you do?" she said she asked, according to reports.

The case broke open in September 2015, when Rachelle Bond admitted to a friend that her daughter Bella was dead, and that the girl had not been taken away by the Department of Children and Families, as she had told others.

Bond struck a plea deal allowing her to escape additional prison time in exchange for her testimony in the trial. She is scheduled to be sentenced Tuesday.

After 85 days she was finally identified and her mother, Rachelle Bond, was arrested along with McCarthy. He had earlier expressed outrage at the judge's instructions to the jury that they did not need to conclude that McCarthy had acted entirely on his own.

That night McCarthy injected Bond with heroin in her neck, and later brought her to his auto, she said on the stand.

The jury started deliberating June 20.

He said Rachelle Bond created a "web of lies" to blame McCarthy.

Other reports by LeisureTravelAid

Discuss This Article